Streaming with a laptop.

telb

Hi, I stream my music into my audio system using my laptop. I use an Audiolab 8300A/CD. The laptop is wired to the modem and a usb into the amp. I have used all of the streaming services in the past and the one I use now is a good quality one. I am not impressed with the sound quality. Surely the laptop cannot limit the sound quality? I would be interested in what anyone else thinks. Thanks

Helix Hifi

Hi, I stream my music into my audio system using my laptop. I use an Audiolab 8300A/CD. The laptop is wired to the modem and a usb into the amp. I have used all of the streaming services in the past and the one I use now is a good quality one. I am not impressed with the sound quality. Surely the laptop cannot limit the sound quality? I would be interested in what anyone else thinks. Thanks
Could you please elaborate what your currently missing in the sound presentation you have now? And what kinda streaming services are you currently using? Most streaming services sound decent. If you’re interested in hifi sound then Tidal is the way to go. I’m not so familiar with USB connection and your current amplifier. I use Spotify Premium my self and I like what I hear. I’ve tried Tidal, but their messy web interface was too much for me compared to Spotify Premium. And Spotify does more less sound just as good as Tidal. But there are people who swear Tidal is the best. If you’re using Spotify remember to adjust the sound settings to high. When I compare Spotify vs Cd (using the correct remaster) I get almost the same sound. Of course Cd we’ll always be better. Tidal I didn’t think was that different compared to Spotify.

Last edited:

telb

Hi, I am using Amazon HD now and I have used Tidal in the past. I now use usb and cat5 leads and it is an improvement on the wifi. However I do not think that the sound has a 'sparkle' For example the attack and delay on some orchestral instruments isn't there. I just wondered if a laptop is the best way to receive the music. Thanks for any help.

Helix Hifi

I’m not using a laptop when streaming music, but an iPad connected trough WiFi then using my Node2i from Bluesound. I do of course experience that Cd is better then Spotify, Tidal but I do think streaming is really good. I have tested WiFi vs cat5e my self, and I couldn’t hear any sound difference in the long run. But if you hear a difference then that’s fine. But the way you’re streaming your music not a super expert on. It could be some settings you need to adjust.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon
Top Bottom