Streaming vs disc

Steve84

Novice Member
This maybe be a simplistic question to something that is more complicated but I have an apple 4k box where I have been buying movies. For price a storage reasons. Now i have more space I was wondering about 4k uhd discs. Do these provide an overall better quality film.
I know it maybe more complicated than just better or worse or maybe a film by film basis. But would it be worth purchasing key titles again

gibbletts

This maybe be a simplistic question to something that is more complicated but I have an apple 4k box where I have been buying movies. For price a storage reasons. Now i have more space I was wondering about 4k uhd discs. Do these provide an overall better quality film.
I know it maybe more complicated than just better or worse or maybe a film by film basis. But would it be worth purchasing key titles again
Depends what your watching it on if you're watching on a budget 4k telly then doubtful discs will be much difference and obviously the blu ray player is part of the equation, I like physical discs but have about a hundred films on apple and my old eyes can't really tell much of a difference if any, I'd give it a go and see what you think.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
Say, you had once bought a given DVD. Eventually, you buy the same Movie on Blu-ray - and then again on UHD. Overall, you bought the same Movie three times over.

On AppleTV, that same DVD quality Movie that you purchased outright, would be subsequently upgraded to HD and then UHD by Apple - but without you having to pay anything more.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Are discs 4K better?

If you have a large, high-end TV and a decent surround sound system they are.
If you don't, and have a smaller low spec TV and are just using the TV sound or a cheap soundbar you won't.

For the majority of people, AppleTV provides an excellent quality stream, better for video quality than Netflix and Prime and at a much cheaper price than discs.

Tim2049

As has been mentioned above, a decent setup is quite important when it comes to spotting the differences. Personally, I do much prefer discs to steaming, although a lot of it is dependent on the content.

Static, bright shots are, invariably, of a similar kind of image quality to my eyes. Where physical discs edge it for me is when it comes to fast motion and low-lit scenes. I never see any artifacts on disc and the image just feels richer. Hard to describe, but that's the most applicable word that springs to mind. Black levels look clean and inky without any signs of pixilation (probably my single biggest bugbear regarding streaming)

I recently watched Snyder's Justice League via streaming and thought it looked distinctly average. I then rented the 4k disc and was blown away by the difference, it was quite significantly better.

In short, action films and those with darker lit scenes will look almost certainly look better on disc. Where as, for example, a period drama set in a sunny meadow will probably not be as noticeable.

Plus, I like owning stuff that I care about, rather than just clicking on it. But that's a different conversation of course...

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom