streaming video

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Movieman, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    hi guys, after a bit of guidance if you can, Ive got a sony BDP-S790 blu ray player connected via TP link powerlines (TP-PA411) to my NAS (synology CS407) Im trying to play MKV files from it, however the films are very juddery, could the file size be to big (28gig) for the network?

2. paddy187

paddy187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    It sounds that way. Thats quite a lot of info over homeplugs but they are 'upto' 500mbps. Anyway of connecting the player to the router at all? If not, then have a look at the homeplug FAQ to see if you can improve their connection e.g. connect straight to a wall and not in a four way adapter.

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Sony Blu-ray players are not the most robust of media players, I'm guessing at that file size your using raw BD rips done via MakeMKV. Could be the Sony cant handle them, make sure you don't have any HD audio tracks (TrueHD/DTS-MA) in the file as the Sony can't handle those only regular Dolby/DTS should be present.

Secondly make sure that the Synology isn't transcoding or trying to, go into the media server properties and see if the right kind of profile is associated with the Sony. If in doubt the generic profile has transcoding disabled I think.

Try playing files from USB drive and see if problem repeats if it does then it's probably not the Homeplugs.

4. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    cheers for the advice, I'll check settings.