Streaming Video to iPhone 4

plaver

As per the title, I currently have a Netgear WNDR3700 router with hard drive connected to the router via USB and I want to able to stream video to my iphone in and outside the house although this isn't critical but using my network to stream video my iphone is.

Can anyone recommend a good APP for this purpose.

Thanks

madhouse

Hi,

I have Goodplayer installed on my iPhone 4 and on my iPad 2. Since iOS 5 was released the network features were improved because Apple finally reacted to people not buying either of the 2 because they didn't even have a computer they could activate their device on and would also have had problems with updates etc.
So where as before with something like Goodplayer I had the option to copy a video file to my iPhone or iPad 2 and play it from there I can now stream directly from my Netgear NAS (I have the Stora) - and it works really good! Great to catch up with some of my favourite TV series I've downloaded from the net :)

Simon

plaver

Hi,

I have Goodplayer installed on my iPhone 4 and on my iPad 2. Since iOS 5 was released the network features were improved because Apple finally reacted to people not buying either of the 2 because they didn't even have a computer they could activate their device on and would also have had problems with updates etc.
So where as before with something like Goodplayer I had the option to copy a video file to my iPhone or iPad 2 and play it from there I can now stream directly from my Netgear NAS (I have the Stora) - and it works really good! Great to catch up with some of my favourite TV series I've downloaded from the net :)

Simon

Thanks for that, You mentioned that you stream from a Netgear NAS, I'm just getting into streaming and looking at possible solutions, one question do you have issues with playing ISO files from your NAS to your iphone and media player??

Downloaded the program it's looks good,couple of questions I can see my WDNDR3700 but only some of the directories any idea why, the other directories are the same.

It also keeps closing, have u had this???? I'm not gonna say it's problem as I'm still JB on firmware 4.2.1 and that could be the reason.

Last edited:

madhouse

no - not really experienced an issue with the app closing.

Regarding the folders - when I click on the world icon at the bottom right and select unp/dlna I see the Stora - and when I click on that and then on 'Browse Folders' I see all shared folders on the Stora. Once I have browsed to the file (avi) I want to watch and have clicked on it I select 'play this URL ' on the popup window to stream it.

I don't have any ISO files. To test - would I rip a DVD using ISO mode? I could try this afternoon and then see if it will play.

Simon

plaver

no - not really experienced an issue with the app closing.

Regarding the folders - when I click on the world icon at the bottom right and select unp/dlna I see the Stora - and when I click on that and then on 'Browse Folders' I see all shared folders on the Stora. Once I have browsed to the file (avi) I want to watch and have clicked on it I select 'play this URL ' on the popup window to stream it.

I don't have any ISO files. To test - would I rip a DVD using ISO mode? I could try this afternoon and then see if it will play.

Simon

Thanks for the info.

I'll put the 'Program Closing' down to the fact I'm JB and using 4:2:1 firmware.

Is 'Stora' a freeware program?? do you have link???

Depending on what software you are using to rip DVD's you would normally look for something like 'rip to image' or save as <filename>.iso.

madhouse

no - Stora is the name of the Netgear NAS I use :)

I'll have a go at creating an ISO from a DVD this afternoon and will see if it plays okay.

Will post my findings!

Simon

plaver

no - Stora is the name of the Netgear NAS I use :)

I'll have a go at creating an ISO from a DVD this afternoon and will see if it plays okay.

Will post my findings!

Simon
Great, thank you.

I just need to find out how I can see and play all my files on the attached harddrive.

madhouse

so I converted a DVD to an ISO - it doesn't even show up on the file list with the avis, mp4s etc... so it won't play. I asume Goodplayer only shows files that it can play. I also have an app called Aceplayer that is very similiar, but same story there.

Sorry I can't give you any advice on visibility of folders. The ones I see on mine are preset to be 'public'. The NAS has other areas where I would have to place files that have limited visibility/access.

Simon

plaver

so I converted a DVD to an ISO - it doesn't even show up on the file list with the avis, mp4s etc... so it won't play. I asume Goodplayer only shows files that it can play. I also have an app called Aceplayer that is very similiar, but same story there.

Sorry I can't give you any advice on visibility of folders. The ones I see on mine are preset to be 'public'. The NAS has other areas where I would have to place files that have limited visibility/access.

Simon

Thanks for checking,

Looks I need to investigate further into storage and playback of ISO files.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom