Streaming video - music

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sparky011, Jan 7, 2012.

1. sparky011

sparky011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Dont know if im on the right thread

Please excuse the spelling as im not the best,

What i have is a lg50" plasma in the cinema room, a 42" panasonic in the lounge and a 32" samsung in the master bedroom,

I am looking to add a 17" in built tv in the bathroom, what i want to do is be able to stream fims to any tv from a central point, i have all my set top boxes, dvd, etc in a cupboard under the stairs so all i have is tvs hanging on the walls, i dont want to have any additional units unless i can put them under the stairs and control the, by Ir

Do any of you guys have a simelar set up and if somhow do you get it all to work

Any views would be apprecieated

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    If you just want to distribute audio and video around the house, an HDMI matrix and some form of cat5/6 balun setup would work. Streaming usually refers to media housed on a PC/Mac/Server. There is a separate forum for media streamers and Apple TV. Another option would be a small factor PC e.g. Acer Revo for each TV. A small PC, Apple TV or WDTV could be housed on the back of each TV and you wouldn't see it.

For control you would need some form of IR extenders back to the central location. Alternatively RF remotes e.g. Logitech Harmony could be used. To control any networked device, there is always the option of using iPods, iPhones, iPads, android phones/tablets.

Your best bet is to visit the sub forums for media players, custom installers, HDMI cables, cat5/6 distribution, home cinema PCs etc. Check out the gallery section too.

What are you going to do about audio? The sound quality from modern flat panel TVs is pretty poor. Do you have a budget in mind for this? Whole house distribution and control can get expensive so be prepared to spend.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. sparky011

sparky011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi davepuma

Thanks formgetting back to me, im looking tomhave once media pc under the stairs that i can access from all tvs, ( can i watch 2 diffrent films on 2 diffrent tv at one time) Would this depend on if the pc has 2 diffrent graphic cards?

I would also like to have access to my blueray, dvd, sky + and sky hd, on any of the tvs at any one time.

In the cinema room i am planning on puting in an amp for the surround sound system( not chosen yet) which is also going to be under the stairs,

At the meoment we are planning for the lighting inside and outside in hte garden and also for blinds in the cinema room,

At the moment we have 2 x cat6 and 2 x cat 5 to all tvs running back into the av cupboard. Also from the cinema room i have 2 x 20m hdmi and scart leads as well as co ax,

From the lounge i have the same but 10m and frommthe bedrooms i just have the cat5/6 and comax.

As for music i am looking at sonos but would also like to have access to my home pc for the music, the whole house id wired formaudio back to the av cupboard.

I am looking to control all the devices from the av cupboard from all rooms if possible, i dont know if this can be done as you would require a system that has the ability to control 4 zones (some type of switch)

Id like to control all the system with either the ipad/phone os my new sony tablet, dont know if it would be a good idea to get a home automation package of some sort or use something like demopad, you can get some realy cool templates for them,

Sparky011

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    The PC will have to act as a server. You will still need a device at each TV to receive the streamed content unless your TV's have it built in? I have no experience of multi-displays on a PC. Obviously this can be done for gaming etc. but I would imagine is quite complex to set up. As I stated in my previous post, it might be easier to just hook up a small PC, WDTV or Apple TV behind each TV.

An HDMI matrix should take care of that.

Have you tested those HDMI cables? The 10m should be fine but HDMI was never designed to be run over long lengths. A cat5/cat6 balun setup will enable you to transfer HDMI over long distances.

As I said, the installers forum should be able to give you further information.