Streaming video from ReadyNas or Laptop to PS3 - Re-naming files

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Flatcoat, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Flatcoat

Flatcoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have used either DVD Shrink (VOB) or DVD Fab (MPEG 4) to convert my video files to play on my PS3. Using Twonky Media I can access the files wirelessly which work stored on either my laptop or ReadyNAS. My problem is that the file names are not exactly user friendly:

'VOLUME IDENTIFIER.Title5.DVDRip' (DVD Fab)
    or:
    VTS_07_1.VOB' (DVD Shrink)

If I try to rename the files, they do not show on the PS3. Is there a way that a re-named file will show on the PS3 ?

If I copy the file to the PS3 the video shows as a thumb nail icon so it is easy to identify the video. Is it possible to get thumb nails to show when accessing the video files on the Laptop or ReadyNAS from the PS3 ?

I have tried Tversity but my PS3 has not been able to find it.

Any help will be much appreciated.

PS I have been wanting to stream video to the PS3 for a while now and managed to get it working for the first time yesterday. All I can say is that this function is another that makes me think that the PS3 is an exceptional piece of kit !

2. AJSG

AJSG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there, sorry I don't have an answer to your question...however I am curious as to how you got the PS3 to see the shares on your NV+.

I have the share CIFS, HTTP, and NFS all pretty much open (read/write), but still nothing...

See you mention Twonky, but isn't this resident on a PC? I do not have any always on PCs on the network...

All suggestions much appreciated,

Thanks,

Andrew.