Streaming TV setup

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Begadoc, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Never having considered streaming TV setup before I have very little knowledge of what I need in the way of equipment.
    What I have
    Panasonic TV - TX-L23V10B
    Sky + HD box (and full program subscription plus HD)
    Sky Wireless Connector box
    Panasonic DVD Player - DMR EX88 (Which has a fault so needs replacing)
    Broadband speed ~75Mb/sec

I would like to retain access to some Sky channels - mainly the BBC and ITV ones mainly for drama, plus history, archaeology, Eurosport, and documentaries. Films as well but not a film buff - maybe one or two a week!

Motivation is primarily to get access to some streamed programmes, not to reduce costs.

So three questions.
    What is the best way to retain (or is it possible to retain) the range of program I currently enjoy but not at Sky prices?
    What equipment do I need to buy (including DVD player replacement).
    Can I retain existing TV.

Many thanks.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I've searched Panasonic TX-L23V10B and cannot find it on Google. Is it really a 23" set? If so there is no point in paying for HD.

If you have an external TV aerial then you are going to get BBC,ITV,C4,C5 channels anyway, and in HD if required. If you want, some of, the recording facilities that you have with Sky then consider a PVR box such as one manufactured by Humax. This will also enable you to stream recent programmes that you might have missed.

What you need is a some kind of streaming service. This can be incorporated in a new SMART TV or a DVD/Blu Ray player. If you have a spare HDMI socket on your existing TV then you could make it 'Smart' by plugging in an Amazon Fire TV stick.

As for specific channels, you get what you pay for. Sky sports and Eurosport comes only with paid services. Other specific channels, and movie streams generally have to be paid for. You might get a certain amount of what you want by looking at what comes with signing up to Virgin or Netflix.

You seem to have a very fast Broadband service. Is this from Virgin Media? If so then you might look at what they offer.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  3. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ooops! Sorry.
    Numerical dyslexia or the result of reading it upside down! TX-L32V10B

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Don't worry. I do that all the time! It is a non-SMART TV, so my previous comments stand. It is often the case with services like Sky and Virgin that you are having to buy into a lot of channels you don't want in order to get the odd one or two that you do. Really annoying that there is no 'pick and mix' choice. I'll get back later if you have further questions. I'm wondering if the Amazon Stick option might be the cheapest place to start if you are happy with your TV.

5. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Mike - agree with you.
    Although I said cost was not a primary consideration, having to buy into multiple packages for a the few we want is a bind. I was wondering if switching to streaming would still give me the channels (or good substitutes) we want. However I am not sure what hardware I need to obtain. The TV is elderly but perfectly OK for our needs and we don't want a larger one. Very few Smart 32" ones around so hopefully I can get streaming by just buying the appropriate black boxes!
    I take it from your suggestion that I just need to buy an Amazon Stick or whichever supplier's box I need. Can you run more that one?

6. wackojacko72

wackojacko72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    A Roku streaming stick may be better as it can access Amazon, Netflix and now TV (sky channels and movies) all on one device. They all have trials so you could try each one out to see what you're interested in.

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    The Amazon Firestick, or the Roku as has also been suggested, just plugs into a spare HDMI socket. After you have connected wirelessly to your internet you are on line for whatever service you need. The BBC,ITV,C4 and C5 catchup services and You Tube are of course free. Other services you may have to pay for, but as WackoJ says there are usually free trial offers of a few months but make sure you know when these end. Both 'sticks' come supplied with a remote control. There are no 'boxes' as such. The menus allow you select whatever service you need. It's a cheap way to upgrade an older TV.

The Roku version has the advantage of Sky NOW services (payable). The Amazon has similar services but now has Alexa voice control built in. If you are an Amazon Prime customer (£79 per annum) you get access to additional films and TV shows free and, with a top-up monthly payment, you can get Eurosport which you asked for. I've used the original Firestick on an elderly 24" Panasonic for over a year without a problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire-TV-Stick-with-Voice-Remote-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B010EGG63O

Roku

8. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    Also consider a Chromecast, it can cast BT Sport, Eurosport (a lot cheaper then Amazon's Eurosport offering), Now TV and many other subscription services if you subscribe to them and also free services like YouTube.

9. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I love my Chromecasts but you do need a phone or tablet to control them whereas Roku and Amazon provide remote controllers.

Fred: thanks for the tip about cheaper Eurosport on Chromecast. I'll check it out for any winter sports. (Update- seems it comes via a third party system, very unreliable and SD)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  10. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Contacted Sky and said I was considering switching to a streaming service - they offered me £4 off the current £80 sub! Implied that if I went to cancellation department they might offer more.
    Looking at Firestick as I already have Prime, and Amazon probably gives me all I want.

Question -
    At present my TV connects to my network for iPlayer, etc. via a Sky wireless connector box provided free by Sky about 2 - 3 years ago. This has a tendency drop out a few times a month and needs to be re-booted. For that reason, even though I don't have 4K, I am considering the higher priced Firestick which claims better WiFi and if it does give problems I can connect via the alternative ethernet connector. Any comments on this?

Also - I note that to play 4K (which I can't) I need a HDMI input which is compatible with 4K protection. I doubt if my TV does have one being about 5 - 6 years old. Would that interfere with SD or HD streaming?

Thanks for your help - very useful.
    Ian

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    They will, probably around 50% off. Read the “Cancelling Sky” thread in our Satellite forum.

That sounds like the Fire TV box (rather than the Firestick) so yes, it gives you the option of using an ethernet cable plugged into the router and should in theory give you a better speed.

I don't quite know what you mean here, but no, if your TV isn't 4K that won't affect viewing HD from the Fire TV box.

12. Begadoc

Begadoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jaycee. What I was getting at (badly) was the fact that I understand that to view 4K the HDMI input has to comply with a standard that is used as part of program copyright protection. (Sorry - I can't find the reference again). I assume my TV's HDMI inputs don't as the TV is a few years old and there is no mention of this in the manual. This doesn't matter to me as it's not a 4K TV but I wondered if I would have problems using a Firestick that was compatible with this standard. From your answer it would seem it is backwards compatible so I won't.
    Long winded attempt to clarify my question - sorry!