Question Streaming TrueHD and DolbyAtmos Logo LG CX appearing randomly

Tomnook80

Established Member
Reaction score
Unsure if this is exactly the correct forum, but it's related to a streaming.

Having sorted all the kinks (I think) out now with my network and Plex streaming I'm having an issue which is utterly maddening. Any remux or indeed any 4K file with TrueHD audio displays a DolbyAtmos logo repeatedly and at random points throughout the content. To be clear this does NOT happen with Netflix, Disney + or Apple TV where the logo appears briefly at the start and disappears.

To be clear my setup is a wired network - PC as server (soon to be replaced by 920+), feeding a Shield TV Pro 2019 into an LG 48 CX. When I play content with TrueHD via Plex or Emby the DolbyAtmos logo flashes up in the top right corner. However, it will then randomly do it again several times throughout the film which is very irritating. I have replaced all of my network cables as well as buy a new U-Green HDMI 2.1 lead and have tested several other HDMI 2.0 leads I have lying around and still get the same infuriating issue. I have messed with several sound settings in the 'advanced' sound menu in the Shield and cannot find an answer for this outside of ripping the files again. I have tried my content and others content and the issue persists regardless. I've read other people having this issue and as yet I've not seen a solution posted. Is there anyone that can offer a solution? I have posted on the Plex forums but the fact it also happens in Emby tells me it is not a Plex-only issue.

Thanks, I'm tearing my hair out here!

Could be a transcoding issue.

Download Kodi from app store
  • search for Plex in its addons, connect to the Plex server through that.
  • Go into Kodi settings->system->audio and leave it on number of channels = 2.0 and pass-through disabled to only output stereo.
  • In Kodi settings->player->video-> enable adjust display refresh rate.
  • In Plex UI loaded by addon click your username and select settings, under advanced enable HEVC support.

Now try playing something and see if the Dolby Atmos logo pops up on screen.

Another option is buy MrMC from app store its a fork of Kodi with built in Plex support built in that completely stops any server side transcoding.

Could be a transcoding issue.

Download Kodi from app store
  • search for Plex in its addons, connect to the Plex server through that.
  • Go into Kodi settings->system->audio and leave it on number of channels = 2.0 and pass-through disabled to only output stereo.
  • In Kodi settings->player->video-> enable adjust display refresh rate.
  • In Plex UI loaded by addon click your username and select settings, under advanced enable HEVC support.

Now try playing something and see if the Dolby Atmos logo pops up on screen.

Another option is buy MrMC from app store its a fork of Kodi with built in Plex support built in that completely stops any server side transcoding.

Thanks mate. Kodi flat out refuses to find the Plex server. Can find Emby, just wants nothing to do with Plex says it isnt available. No idea how to fix it as I've not changed or altered anybting. Ill try MrMC and see where I get to. Getting a bit fed up tbh. No idea why Kodi can't see Plex as would probably rather use Kodi.

When it does find the Emby server it plays TrueHD fine. Oddly it initially comes up with a 'the server is not powerful enough to stream this content' but then plays audio and video direct without issue, definitely doesn't transcode I've checked. I find it odd that the server is the issue (or so it reports) when everything is using wired gigabit ethernet and the server is essentially a gaming PC. I'm tempted just to wait until my 920+ arrives and start afresh.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Kodi flat out refuses to find the Plex server. Can find Emby, just wants nothing to do with Plex says it isnt available. No idea how to fix it as I've not changed or altered anybting. Ill try MrMC and see where I get to. Getting a bit fed up tbh. No idea why Kodi can't see Plex as would probably rather use Kodi.

When it does find the Emby server it plays TrueHD fine. Oddly it initially comes up with a 'the server is not powerful enough to stream this content' but then plays audio and video direct without issue, definitely doesn't transcode I've checked. I find it odd that the server is the issue (or so it reports) when everything is using wired gigabit ethernet and the server is essentially a gaming PC. I'm tempted just to wait until my 920+ arrives and start afresh.
It's pretty strange, that it cannot locate it, you didn't get the pin code to put in on the plex web site ?

MrMC can use other ways to connect to Plex see its wiki.

Use same video/audio settings for MrMC.

The transcoding server is for some reason trying to send Atmos audio to the TV, why its doing this I cannot say. It should in theory only send stereo, unless there is something specific to the Shield that is somehow involved which is why Plex/Emby think its okay to send Atmos.

There probably is some manual setting in Plex to stop is transcoding the audio in general or for that file perhaps, I don't use Plex that much.

It's pretty strange, that it cannot locate it, you didn't get the pin code to put in on the plex web site ?

MrMC can use other ways to connect to Plex see its wiki.

Use same video/audio settings for MrMC.

The transcoding server is for some reason trying to send Atmos audio to the TV, why its doing this I cannot say. It should in theory only send stereo, unless there is something specific to the Shield that is somehow involved which is why Plex/Emby think its okay to send Atmos.

There probably is some manual setting in Plex to stop is transcoding the audio in general or for that file perhaps, I don't use Plex that much.
I'm going to re-set it all when I set my 920+ up and take the PC out of the equation. I have it here, but Ebuyer's inability to deliver anything means I'm waiting for a new HDD. I got MrMC to work the best out of anyhting. It picked up the Emby server right away and played the TrueHD stuff without issue. I havent signed in either Emby or Plex with it yet just picked up the UPnP Emby server. Can't quite figure out how to get the media to display on the main MrMC page without going into videos/files yet and selecting the server but again I'll sort that side of things out when my NAS is set up tomorrow or at the weekend. Will keep you posted! Thanks for all the help thus far.

If I change audio streams it works perfectly as it doesn't read any form of DTS as Atmos so it's all good. I can force it to transcode and change the TrueHD to soemthing else via Plex or the advanced sound settings in the Shield, but it's more like why should I? TrueHD should work as it does, but without that irritating DolbyAtmos logo popping up. Interesting that it doesn't appear with MrMC even though it is clearly playing the TrueHD stream when I check.

I'm going to re-set it all when I set my 920+ up and take the PC out of the equation. I have it here, but Ebuyer's inability to deliver anything means I'm waiting for a new HDD. I got MrMC to work the best out of anyhting. It picked up the Emby server right away and played the TrueHD stuff without issue. I havent signed in either Emby or Plex with it yet just picked up the UPnP Emby server. Can't quite figure out how to get the media to display on the main MrMC page without going into videos/files yet and selecting the server but again I'll sort that side of things out when my NAS is set up tomorrow or at the weekend. Will keep you posted! Thanks for all the help thus far.

If I change audio streams it works perfectly as it doesn't read any form of DTS as Atmos so it's all good. I can force it to transcode and change the TrueHD to soemthing else via Plex or the advanced sound settings in the Shield, but it's more like why should I? TrueHD should work as it does, but without that irritating DolbyAtmos logo popping up. Interesting that it doesn't appear with MrMC even though it is clearly playing the TrueHD stream when I check.

MrMC will only activate its movie/covert library if
  • you have scanned network shared folders (SMB/NFS) via set content function when adding a source to videos/files.
  • linked media server like plex. emby, jellffin

UPnP/DLNA wont do anything as it cannot scan that.

Do you have eARC and pass-through enabled on the TV in webos sound ?

That Shield might see that and try to send Atmos to the TV because of that and the Plex/emby clients which rely on the Shield internal video player comply. MrMC/Kodi does not use internal video player but their own separate one.

MrMC will only activate its movie/covert library if
  • you have scanned network shared folders (SMB/NFS) via set content function when adding a source to videos/files.
  • linked media server like plex. emby, jellffin

UPnP/DLNA wont do anything as it cannot scan that.

Do you have eARC and pass-through enabled on the TV in webos sound ?

That Shield might see that and try to send Atmos to the TV because of that and the Plex/emby clients which rely on the Shield internal video player comply. MrMC/Kodi does not use internal video player but their own separate one.
eArc is greyed out on the TV I'm assuming because of using internal speakers? I can adjust HDMI input from bit stream to PCM, but assume I want to leave it at the default which is bit stream.

eArc is greyed out on the TV I'm assuming because of using internal speakers? I can adjust HDMI input from bit stream to PCM, but assume I want to leave it at the default which is bit stream.
I've got the exact same problem as you!

I've posted this in a couple of places now and just can't get to a solution. Surely there's loads of people with this same set up.......

Hi. Hoping someone can shed some light on something that's frustrating the hell out of me. I've spent days reading forum posts and can't get a straight answer. I can see that there's lots of people are having similar issues.

It's all to do with playing TrueHD atmos videos through plex.
Here's my setup:
LG CX 55
NVIDIA Shield pro 2019 - plugged into HDMI port - 2.1 cable - connected by ethernet - 1gig speed

Now trying to play any file that contains trued lossless audio. I get confirmation it's playing dolby atmos on the screen, but then it constantly stops audio and reconnects, showing the atmos text on the screen over and over and over. I've tried every setting i can think of and the problem just won't go away. Any other audio format is flawless.

So......
Is it a CX problem, Plex problem, Nvidia Shield problem?

I've recently bought a LG SN11RG as well, so connected to the TV through EARC, and surprise surprises, the exact same problem happens.

I've got the exact same problem as you!

I've posted this in a couple of places now and just can't get to a solution. Surely there's loads of people with this same set up.......

Hi. Hoping someone can shed some light on something that's frustrating the hell out of me. I've spent days reading forum posts and can't get a straight answer. I can see that there's lots of people are having similar issues.

It's all to do with playing TrueHD atmos videos through plex.
Here's my setup:
LG CX 55
NVIDIA Shield pro 2019 - plugged into HDMI port - 2.1 cable - connected by ethernet - 1gig speed

Now trying to play any file that contains trued lossless audio. I get confirmation it's playing dolby atmos on the screen, but then it constantly stops audio and reconnects, showing the atmos text on the screen over and over and over. I've tried every setting i can think of and the problem just won't go away. Any other audio format is flawless.

So......
Is it a CX problem, Plex problem, Nvidia Shield problem?

I've recently bought a LG SN11RG as well, so connected to the TV through EARC, and surprise surprises, the exact same problem happens.
The issue appears to be Plex and/or Emby. With Kodi it outputs correctly without issue and no logo. I reported this to the Plex team and had a long discussion with the Emby team. Despite paying for both they don't seem interested in correcting the issue so I gave up and stuck with Kodi.

When I tried a Denon 2700h (which I sadly had to send back) there was no issue with any app and the logo since the amp was taking care of the signal. I then tested a Samsung Q8000T soundbar and also had no issue, but returned it as it didn't sound much better than the TV.

I find it odd you're getting the issue with the soundbar. I have done countless tests with various material and Dolby test files and it only occurs on Emby and Plex on the Shield, it's definitely how they are handling the signal and/or exoplayer in the Shield itself. However, I got no issues through the amp or the Samsung bar.

I'm seeing this on the LG G1 though plex on a 2019 nvidia shield, except it's the Dolby Vision logo that keeps appearing.

I'm getting this exact same issue. My tv is a panasonic jz2000 which has a built in dolby atmos sound system. All my 4k remux files trigger the atmos logo and playback is showing as true HD but the atmos logo keeps popping up every so often during playback. The weird thing is that when I select the dts hd 7.1 audio stream rather than the true HD 7.1 stream it also triggers the atmos logo on the screen. I'm using shield + plex + pc as server. I am direct playing both video and audio. I have a feeling the shield can't quite handle the high bandwidth of 4k remux files with atmos but I wish someone would explain what is going on. Answers are impossible to find.

I'm getting this exact same issue. My tv is a panasonic jz2000 which has a built in dolby atmos sound system. All my 4k remux files trigger the atmos logo and playback is showing as true HD but the atmos logo keeps popping up every so often during playback. The weird thing is that when I select the dts hd 7.1 audio stream rather than the true HD 7.1 stream it also triggers the atmos logo on the screen. I'm using shield + plex + pc as server. I am direct playing both video and audio. I have a feeling the shield can't quite handle the high bandwidth of 4k remux files with atmos but I wish someone would explain what is going on. Answers are impossible to find.
I am having similar problems (random re-appearing Dolby Vision logo in my case) on my LG OLED C2. My prior TV ( Vizio LCD) with the same setup, did not appear to have these issues. My setup is a 2019 Shield Pro outputting UHD movies from a Plex server to an Onkyo Receiver and then to my LG TV.

Similar to others, switching to an audio stream other than TrueHD 7.1 for DV movies, eliminates the re-appearing Dolby Vision text for me. It also seemed to eliminate a random visual stuttering that occurs under DV mode, but not in HDR mode for the same movie with TrueHD 7.1 kept on.

But obviously, I want DV+Atmos to work. So, I tried many different settings combinations on the Shield, Onkyo, and LG. But the only success I had was when I turned off ARC on my Onkyo. Doing so stopped the re-appearing DV logo. It also appears to have fixed the occasional visual stuttering as well. Not sure why this would be the case. I had ARC turned on with my Vizio without problems.

UPDATE: I decided to upgrade my two HDMI cables and it fixed my issues (i.e., Dolby Vision only appears once even with ARC turned on again.) I was hesitant to try this because my original Monoprice High Speed (18 Gbps) cables were previously capable of handling DV+TrueHD on my Vizio. I replaced these with the Monoprice 8K Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI (48 Gbps) cables. Upgrading to these 8K cables appears to also have fixed my occasional video stuttering issues.

My only remaining issue is audio stuttering with DV+TrueHD 7.1 on My Fair Lady. But I have given up on fixing that one.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom