Streaming transports - how can one be better than another?

It wasn't anything to do with the output levels, they were matched to ear and switched between the two playing the same tracks,
How are you matching levels in this scenario?

How are you matching levels in this scenario?
No discernible difference in volume between the Sony and Toshiba when switching over between optical inputs on amp.

This subject has been discussed in great depth on other forums, many other users also say there are differences (mainly in soundstaging, timing & musicality) so it's not just me.

Last edited:
No discernible difference in volume between the Sony and Toshiba when switching over between optical inputs on amp.

This subject has been discussed in great depth on other forums, many other users also say there are differences (mainly in soundstaging, timing & musicality) so it's not just me.

OK, I was only asking. As you said they were matched to ear so I thought that implied you needed to adjust.
I'm unfamiliar with the devices but if they had any sort of volume that operated in the digital domain that allowed for matching, then given how poorly some digital volume is implemented it would have been an easy explanation.

I think this is the age old argument with video also. If it's 0's and 1's is it either snakeoil by those wanting to sell or simply the plasebo effect. Digital is digital. As someone who takes photographs for a living it makes no difference what SD card I use, what cable I use to transfer the data over - it's just 0's and 1's

It would be useful to study the term "jitter" although a high price streamer does not always guarantee low jitter values.

I think this is the age old argument with video also. If it's 0's and 1's is it either snakeoil by those wanting to sell or simply the plasebo effect. Digital is digital. As someone who takes photographs for a living it makes no difference what SD card I use, what cable I use to transfer the data over - it's just 0's and 1's

"Digital is digital".... yes, but would be useful to study the term "jitter" although a high price sticker on a streamer does not always guarantee low jitter values.

Digital is digital, unless it's "broken", ie really badly implemented without any care, which is rare and easy to spot.

The optical out on my lg c9 tv is "broken"

My dac like many is designed to reject normal to large amounts of jitter and pass a clean signal.

As a design choice when it is presented with ridiculous amounts of jitter it will not function, (loud pops, clicks and droputs).

Some dacs have a relaxed phase lock loop, which will play a signal with ridiculous amounts of jitter by incorporating it into the signal as distortion.

To me the difference is the user interface, had a Pro-Ject S2 ultra for the USB connection to a DAC, once the new Node came out I immediately jumped ship as I prefer the Bluos interface. Though thinking about it I should have really invested in a Roon life membership..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom