1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming to PS3 using VLC

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS3, PS2, PS1 & PSP Forum' started by SkippyDoo, Aug 23, 2007.

1. SkippyDoo

SkippyDoo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

People,

I have used VLC for a long time now due it to handling any file format with ease..sometimes when I play an .avi on WMP11...I only hear sound...but when I use VLC...the both come up..

I was then thinking if a file is only playings the music on WMP...will it do the same on the PS3?

I wanted to ask I looked on VLC regarding streaming files....

http://www.videolan.org/streaming-features.html

Could we set the PS3 to use this?

Regards

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal Well-known Member

Ratings:
    +681
    WMP and VLC use different techniques to replay files.

VLC has all the codecs required for the files it plays incorporated in the application - so when you install VLC you get support for all the files it plays.

WMP is different, in that in a default Windows installation it only has relatively limited support for various codecs (and it is important to remember that AVI isn't a codec itself, it is a wrapper for all sorts of different codecs), and for WMP to replay a wide range of codecs you have to install a whole bunch of codecs separately, otherwise you get audio but not video.

HOWEVER - streaming to the PS3 using WMP is not the same as replaying on the PC using WMP - as within WMP the file is just "served" to the PS3, not replayed and converted on the PC.

AIUI VLC doesn't currently support the UPnp/DLNA streaming that the PS3 supports, as they operate quite a bit differently. (The PS3 expects to be able to chose a file FROM a list and then stream it, VLC expects to stream a single file chosen on the PC TO a destination?) However if VLC could be persuaded to work in a compatible manner, and the PC had enough grunt to transcode to MPEG2 or H264 in real-time it would be a solution - just as MediaHome and TVersity are...