1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streaming to PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by mrBb, Jan 15, 2004.

1. mrBb

mrBb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

A number of miniDV camcorders seem to support USB streaming to PC, and so can operate as (low res) web cams.

I was wondering if is possible to stream full DV quality video directly to a PC via a firewire or USB2 connection. Does anyone know a camera that will do this?

Thanks is advance.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All mini DV camcorders will stream 'full DV quality video' directly to a PC via a firewire cable and card. Despite what it may say in the manufacturers blurb NO DV camcorder is capable of streaming 'full DV quality video' continuously via USB (1 or 2).

Many can indeed be connected by USB and used as web cams but certainly not at full quality. the usual use for the USB connection on camcorders is to transfer still images from the camera to the PC.

3. mrBb

mrBb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, yes, do I realise that you can stream recorded video via firewire.
    What I was really getting at, is... can I record *directly* onto my hardrive without using tape at all?

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right see what you mean, I can certainly do that with my 3 year old Panasonic and I would guess most DV camcorders could do that.

5. mrBb

mrBb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, that was the answer I was hoping for :)
    Can you tell me what software you use to do this?

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personnally use Ulead Video Studio 7 a relatively cheap suite (£53) but most editing software should allow you to do this.

You can download a 30 day free trial of UVS7 from www.Ulead.co.uk.

or alternatively if your PC is very new you may have Moviemaker2 all ready on it, if not and you are running windows XP go to the microsoft website where you can download Moviemaker 2 for free

7. mrBb

mrBb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that :)