Streaming to my Oppo 203?

Brian Nunn

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’m currently using my Oppo (screen-less) for music playback in the 2nd bedroom - mainly CDs, music on USB etc. Is it possible to stream to it from a tablet, phone or PC on the same network? Sorry if this sounds daft but it’d be fantastic to use its DAC for Spotify etc. Any tips gratefully received.

I’m currently using my Oppo (screen-less) for music playback in the 2nd bedroom - mainly CDs, music on USB etc. Is it possible to stream to it from a tablet, phone or PC on the same network? Sorry if this sounds daft but it’d be fantastic to use its DAC for Spotify etc. Any tips gratefully received.

If your key goal is to play back Spotify using the native Spotify app, you might be better off just buying a cheap Spotify Connect supporting device/dongle like a Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick. You could then connect it to the HDMI IN port on the Oppo.

Probably vast overkill for your needs but you could also install Logitech Media Server on your PC and then enable the UPnP/DLNA bridge, Spotty and Material Skin plugins under System Settings->Plugins. LMS will then make your Oppo appear as a 'virtual' Spotify Connect endpoint. But this does requires some setup and also needs your PC to be switched on while you're streaming music.

The Oppo supports UPnP/DLNA so you could use the mConnect (free 'lite' version) or BubbleUPnP DLNA controller apps. But neither supports Spotify, so you'd need to switch to a different streaming service.

Last edited:
If your key goal is to play back Spotify using the native Spotify app, you might be better off just buying a cheap Spotify Connect supporting device/dongle like a Google Chromecast or Amazon Firestick. You could then connect it to the HDMI IN port on the Oppo.

Probably vast overkill for your needs but you could also install Logitech Media Server on your PC and then enable the UPnP/DLNA bridge, Spotty and Material Skin plugins under System Settings->Plugins. LMS with then make your Oppo appear as a 'virtual' Spotify Connect endpoint. But this does requires some setup and also needs your PC to be switched on while you're streaming music.

The Oppo supports UPnP/DLNA so you could use the mConnect (free 'lite' version) or BubbleUPnP DLNA controller apps. But neither supports Spotify, so you'd need to switch to a different streaming service.
I much appreciate that extensive reply.

Another option to consider is Emby (or possibly Jellyfin). With a NAS or PC running an Emby server you can have an Emby client on a tablet and use it to browse media and then instruct the Emby server to stream the chosen media to the Oppo 203 via DLNA. Movie files should be fine but lack of gapless playback of CD's I think is still an issue with Emby.

Another option to consider is Emby (or possibly Jellyfin). With a NAS or PC running an Emby server you can have an Emby client on a tablet and use it to browse media and then instruct the Emby server to stream the chosen media to the Oppo 203 via DLNA. Movie files should be fine but lack of gapless playback of CD's I think is still an issue with Emby.
Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply. I'm afraid that being a noob, I'm rather at sea with technical stuff like 'Emby server' and 'DLNA'. To give you the basics, I have a 6th generation iPad that I'd like to 'stream from'. Could you possibly take me thru the steps necessary to make this my controller? I've tried using the Oppo Media Control App with Tidal on my iPhone 8+ but it refuses to work. Thanks in advance.

Emby doesn't stream from the ipad. You install Emby server on either a computer or a NAS and that's where your media is stored. Then you use an Emby client on your tablet to tell the server to stream to the Oppo. So the tablet interface is purely for browsing the media library on the server and making the play selection.

Right. Got that. Thanks. So I'd install an Emby server on my iMac to connect with same on my iPad. Is this kind of layman's stuff to do or is it 'complex'?

Right. Got that. Thanks. So I'd install an Emby server on my iMac to connect with same on my iPad. Is this kind of layman's stuff to do or is it 'complex'?
It's not rocket science but you want to read up on it as is sensible before taking the plunge. Emby have an excellent user forum so there is plenty of online help. I havn't done it myself yet but once I get the NAS setup I am after I will probably go down this route.

Probably vast overkill for your needs but you could also install Logitech Media Server on your PC and then enable the UPnP/DLNA bridge, Spotty and Material Skin plugins under System Settings->Plugins. LMS will then make your Oppo appear as a 'virtual' Spotify Connect endpoint. But this does requires some setup and also needs your PC to be switched on while you're streaming music.

I've now got the mConnect lite version on my iPhone and it's found the Oppo on the network. So far so good. I've opened Tidal with Play To the Oppo selected...but on pressing play on a track...nothing.

I've now got the mConnect lite version on my iPhone and it's found the Oppo on the network. So far so good. I've opened Tidal with Play To the Oppo selected...but on pressing play on a track...nothing.

I use Qobuz (along with Roon now, so a while since I last used mConnect).

But a couple of things to try:
  • Check the Tidal setting in mConnect isn't set to a bitrate higher than your OPPO can handle ie. set it to 96kHz
  • Check that the DLNA/UPnP option/input is selected on your OPPO.
  • Maybe obvious, but try turning the OPPO on and off while mConnect is open and then refreshing. the 'Play To' screen. I've found that DLNA/UPnP can sometimes be a bit finicky re. discovery.
If that fails maybe post in the streamer section here (as that is where the most active mConnect users hang out). Hopefully someone there can help you more than me re. specific issues with Tidal+Oppo+mConnect.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom