Streaming Throughout House

7ewis

Novice Member
I am just wondering whether or not it would be possible to setup some sort of music streaming through my house.

This is what I have;

Spotify Premium

Lounge with 4 Speakers in Ceiling connected to a Harmon Kardon in the next room, which is connected to a PC (4GB RAM, Quad-Core, 1TB HD).

Playroom with 5 Speakers connected to a Panasonic Hi-Fi and a PS3.

Dining Room with a Bose iPod Dock.

My Room, 2 Speakers connected to a Tevion Hi-Fi with iPod dock.

Ideally, I would like to be able to have my Spotify music playing around the house, and it being controlled by my iPad or iPod touch. Would it be possible to make my PC stream Spotify to my PS3 in the playroom? As it is already wired to the Lounge so I can play Spotify there, and then maybe somehow stream to an iPhone/iPod whatever on the Bose?

I know I could probably do this all with a Sonos, but I want to see if it would be possible without. Also doesn't AirPlay or whatever it is called allow something like this, but obviously only Apple products and only your iTunes library?

I know it probably isn't possible at the moment, but is there an easy way to make it all work? Or something I could buy that would make it work?

7ewis

Novice Member
Basically, to make it less complicated; I have some Apple Devices and a PS3, that I would want to be able to stream Spotify to through my network.

I have Spotify Premium, if that helps. I have tried XBMC, but that seemed complicated to make Spotify work with it, and tried Plex, but couldn't get it to work at all..

7ewis

Novice Member
Hmm, so would that work on any device, just typing in the IP?

Would prefer it if I could have an app to use on my iPod rather than using Safari, but I guess that would be alright.

If I wanted to play music on more than one device at a time, would there be lag over the network? I have 8mbps download.

amcluesent

Spotify Premium generally only allows one concurrent stream to an IP address, so for multi-room you need something which will buffer that stream and distribute to multiple players. Squeezebox can do this with a plug-in to Logitech Media Server.

Last edited:

push

Novice Member
I'll just add a vote for Sonos... it can handle multiple and different spotify streams - up to 3 is supported I think. You could add this easily to your 'zones'. although may be a bit overkill for the Bose dock. Alternatively, you could replace the Bose dock with a Sonos Play:5. It'll be expensive, but I love ours. I previously used a combination of an Apple TV and Airport Express zones... but I found that to be annoyingly unreliable.

Ed the Penguin

Spotify Premium generally only allows one concurrent stream to an IP address, so for multi-room you need something which will buffer that stream and distribute to multiple players. Squeezebox can do this with a plug-in to Logitech Media Server.
I've just setup my home system for multiroom with Logitech Media Server on my PC (Ubuntu 12.04) and XBMC. There is an add-on for XBMC called Xsqueeze (Squeezebox add-on) which plays music off the media server (I believe you can add a Spotify account to the media server too). I can then use Xsqueeze on my laptop which syncs in time with my PC. To top it off, I can then select tracks with the Logitech Media Remote app.
Link to Xsqueeze: Add-on:XSqueeze - XBMC
XBMC and Logitech Media server also support other OS platforms too.

I'm currently only using it for my MP3 library and internet radio.

niall campbell

Novice Member
Or your ipod touch and a free app called mediaconnect will stream from your PC

So will the PS 3.

However My ears cant hear great music detail. But try & see.

Ed the Penguin

Or your ipod touch and a free app called mediaconnect will stream from your PC

So will the PS 3.

However My ears cant hear great music detail. But try & see.
I believe the OP wants his PC/phone/stereos to play in sync though (like Apple's AirPlay)