Streaming Sticks - Download and Watch Later?

simon1066

Standard Member
After downloading catchup TV apps such as BBCiPlayer onto a streaming stick, is it possible to 'download and watch later' as is possible on other devices?

ovbg

After downloading catchup TV apps such as BBCiPlayer onto a streaming stick, is it possible to 'download and watch later' as is possible on other devices?

No, sadly not yet. Most (well, all) broadcasters and streaming services have the general idea that home-based broadband is good enough for streaming rather than downloading - which we know in reality is not always the case.

Even if they wanted to offer downloads on STBs, they would have to renegotiate licenses with all the studios and content providers, and they have always been reluctant to allow features like this due to fears of pirating. (which really is pointless as anyone knows that a pirate will always find a way to extract the video anyway).

Is the main reason you are asking because of the time restraints or broadband issues? If it is the time restraints, one thing you could consider is Zattoo. This is a Swiss based streaming service that works under Swiss law which allows them to retransmit any FTA signal they can receive via the Internet - in Switzerland (so you will need a good Smart DNS service to unblock). Their subscription model allows recording of up to 250 shows in the cloud, and as they have UK FTA channels (BBC, ITV, Four etc), you can make these recordings and watch whenever you want.

Unfortunately, the best way to use it right now is via iOS or Android and then AirPlay or Chromecast, as their STBs don't yet work with recordings. That said, they will soon, as the ATV app has already promised it, and it looks as though their Fire TV app and Android TV app will also follow soon.

The best quality I've seen for Zattoo's geographic unblocking has been with Getflix, but most others provide this as well.

simon1066

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply ovbg. My reason for asking is because of my poor download speed.

I think you answered my next question about whether the streaming 'box' versions of the sticks would offer watch later storage. Seems like they don't either.

Unfortunately, the best way to use it right now is via iOS or Android and then AirPlay or Chromecast, as their STBs don't yet work with recordings. That said, they will soon, as the ATV app has already promised it, and it looks as though their Fire TV app and Android TV app will also follow soon.

I'm being a bit slow this morning but I'm not sure I understand. Which STB's are you referring to?

simon1066

Standard Member
I'm being a bit slow this morning but I'm not sure I understand. Which STB's are you referring to?

It's ok, I've looked into this a bit more and understand now. I've never really been into TV much - only replaced my CRT last week, will look more closely at the Chromecasting of progs from tablet to tv.

ovbg

Thank you for your reply ovbg. My reason for asking is because of my poor download speed.

I think you answered my next question about whether the streaming 'box' versions of the sticks would offer watch later storage. Seems like they don't either.

The STBs (Set-top-boxes) I was referring to was the Amazon Fire TV (Box and Stick), Android TV (Official version like Nexus Player or later Sony, Philips and Sharp TVs) and the Apple TV.

Chromecast is excellent, but a bit fiddly for those not that tech savvy. Still, it is a good method. Keep in mind that as of today, only the BBC iPlayer of all the main UK broadcasters cast to Chromecast, although All4 will add this shortly. I just checked and the downloaded content on an Android device will cast via the iPlayer.

simon1066

Standard Member
The STBs (Set-top-boxes) I was referring to was the Amazon Fire TV (Box and Stick), Android TV (Official version like Nexus Player or later Sony, Philips and Sharp TVs) and the Apple TV.

Chromecast is excellent, but a bit fiddly for those not that tech savvy. Still, it is a good method. Keep in mind that as of today, only the BBC iPlayer of all the main UK broadcasters cast to Chromecast, although All4 will add this shortly. I just checked and the downloaded content on an Android device will cast via the iPlayer.

I see that the Roku stick will mirror a devices screen, I wonder if this is a better choice than Chromecast given there are more channels on the Roku

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom