• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Streaming Spotify

newbie265

Established Member
I have just discovered spotify and really loving it, I have the premium edition so can play offline and have it on my laptop and Iphone. My question is what is the best way to play through my Arcam 300 , I don't want to spend fortunes here. I have thought of hooking up to my laptop through my SPDIF port into an optical in the Arcam but was hoping I could control remotely on my iphone but that only works with macs I understand ( I have a Dell) . I want the best possible sound so would it be better wired via laptop or can I stream via Iphone somehow?

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
You could put an Arcam airDAC onto the Arcam 300, it'll work as an Airplay unit you can stream to from your iPhone or just hook up an Apple Airplay Express using optical S/PDIF

Last edited:

Cebolla

Prominent Member
Attaching any AirPlay streamer to the Arcam 300, such as the ones mentioned by Amcluesent, would allow streaming of the sound produced by iDevice apps and Mac computer software. Other examples of AirPlay supporting stereo streamers include: Pioneer's N-30 & N-50, Denon's DNP-F109 & DNP-720AE and the Marantz NA7004

For Windows computers, using the free Stream What You Hear (SWYH) UPnP/DLNA server application, allows you to capture the computer's sound (from Spotify, or anything else for that matter) up to CD quality and stream that to a UPnP/DLNA streamer connected to the Arcam 300. All the streamers mentioned above support UPnP/DLNA (as well as AirPlay), except the Apple Airport Express.

Cebolla

Prominent Member
I have thought of hooking up to my laptop through my SPDIF port into an optical in the Arcam but was hoping I could control remotely on my iphone but that only works with macs I understand ( I have a Dell)
Never tried it, but there is one app that can remote control Spotify running on a Windows computer, from an iDevice (app for Android devices also available) - Remoteless for Spotify. Requires its Windows helper software to be installed on your computer, see:
Remoteless for Spotify

If you can use an Android device instead of the iPhone, then you've also got the option of controlling Spotify on your Windows laptop with the Spotimote app (requires the Spotimote Server software installed on the computer):
Nodria

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom