• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Streaming solution required from NAS to kitchen

Mike Dinnis

Standard Member
Hello,
I'm looking for suggestions for a device to play music from my NAS in my kitchen. I'm looking for something that will stream mp3, play internet radio and preferably receive DAB stations. The problem with the DAB is that i'm in a weak reception area and will need something that accepts an external aerial.
I've recently tried a Revo Axis. This performed the streaming side of things perfectly, but the DAB recepion was unexceptable as it did not accept an external aerial and so had to go back.
Since it's for the kitchen i'd prefer something that is smaller than a HiFi but I'm not an audiophile so sound quality doesn't need to be the best so long as it's not totally rubbish.
Budget is flexible but preferably sub £200 is preferable.
Any suggestions welcome.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Anything that has a removable telescopic aerial with an f-type connector that can be replaced by an aerial cable terminated with an f-type connector would sort you external aerial issue.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Is there any point in pursuing DAB if you have Internet radio? Only reason I can think of is if your ISP has a very mean monthly cap.

darkmavis

Crocodile said:
Is there any point in pursuing DAB if you have Internet radio? Only reason I can think of is if your ISP has a very mean monthly cap.

Some things (like. Live sport) are restricted on Internet radio due to licensing

Mike Dinnis

Standard Member
Anything that has a removable telescopic aerial with an f-type connector that can be replaced by an aerial cable terminated with an f-type connector would sort you external aerial issue.

Yes, but do you have any examples? I'm finding it difficult to find a device that says it has a removeable aerial. Perhaps my Google skills are weak at the moment...

Mike Dinnis

Standard Member

Based on current radio usage (turn it on in morning then off again at night) and that I think i've seen calculations that 1hr of internet radio is 1.5-2GB of data then that soon eats into my monthly allowance.
If I am unable to source a suitable device then this may be what I have to do and look for another ISP (will mean changing mail addresses, subscriptions, etc.)

larkone

Distinguished Member
Yes, but do you have any examples? I'm finding it difficult to find a device that says it has a removeable aerial. Perhaps my Google skills are weak at the moment...

Some Pure radios do (but not all), though you would be best placed to go to a store and check out some. It is not the sort of thing that is well documented in the specs.

It is not pretty but you can always wrap the end of and aerial downlead around the telescopic aerial to try and improve reception.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I think i've seen calculations that 1hr of internet radio is 1.5-2GB of data
That's way out. A 128kbs Internet radio station will consume approx 58MB per hour.

Roberts apparently sell a replacement aerial for their Stream 83i so that may be worth a look.

Here's a list of Pure's replacement aerials & the models they fit. Evoke Flow is on the list.

As Larkone said, it's not documented so you'll need to check the type of connector with the manufacturer or go & look if you can find them in store.

Last edited:

Mike Dinnis

Standard Member
Some Pure radios do (but not all), though you would be best placed to go to a store and check out some. It is not the sort of thing that is well documented in the specs.

It is not pretty but you can always wrap the end of and aerial downlead around the telescopic aerial to try and improve reception.

I went into John Lewis a week ago to do just that. I can't recall seeing any of the spec i'm hoping for that had removeable aerials. I guees I need to change my spec:(

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

niall campbell

i have the roberts Solar DAB radio , its great AND it has a rechargeable pack included in it !!!!!!!!!!!! so I can re-charge with mains electric if the Solar doesnt work. No need to buy an optional battery pack

its great and has an extenable aerial . It has a 3.5mm jack and I just plug my iphone or ipod touch into it and use it for streaming music from my NAS hard drive or PC

you could download an app to allow internet radio ?

I have the Roberts in my bathroom and have a Sony Hi Fi in the kitchen.

The Sony is just connected to a TV aerial point and picks up DAB and Fm from the tv aerial point

Mike Dinnis

Standard Member
In the end I opted for an Oxx Classic DAB radio. This has the option for wired or wireless internet connection, DAB, FM and streaming capabilities. I thought it might be ok after reading reviews on an Australian forum where its DAB reception qualities were praised. It came from the UK Oxx shop hosted on a well known internet site beginning with A.
I was called the morning it was due to be delivered to let me know the delivery slot, and it was delivered in that slot. They had also pre-loaded the unit with the current service packs and regional setup. Nice service.
The big test was whether it would pick up DAB, and it did within seconds of selecting that function.
It connected to my NAS easily after I entered the password.
For a mono speaker the volume is sufficient to fill my kitchen/breakfast room.
It doesn't have a remote or app to control it, but as I stated earlier I tend to leave it in all day s that shouldn't be an issue.
So far it ticks all the boxes and great service too.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom