Streaming services and what box i need.

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by philozz17, Feb 25, 2014.

1. philozz17

philozz17
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I am not if I am asking in the right place.
    I have a panasonic TXL37d28 tv, it says it can connect to the internet via a dongle or ethernet port.
    If i buy a home plug set up can i then get inlayer itv and 4od on tv?
    I have just signed unto amazon prime, will this be able to stream to tv as well via this set up?
    Or do i need to get a dedicated box for these like for instance apple tv style thing?
    I find it all very confusing as to how to get it all in one place.
    Thanks for helping

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    The TV has some limited services built into it so yes once you connect it up you will get access to those however Panasonic are one of the poorest when it comes to these so I would set expectations to low in what you will get.

Amazon prime instant video is very unlikely to be there, in the UK Amazon PIV is replacing Loveflim but thats only just happening right now. The USA Roku has the Amazon PIV channel but the UK Roku does not, it might simply get UK Amazon PIV in due time.

3. philozz17

philozz17
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks for the reply. So the tv is not going to give the best content. So what media streamer box is going to give me best content or will a ps3 be better?

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Roku or PS3 would be a good choice, PS3 has more of the catch up TV services, Roku has a wider mix of other stuff.

5. ovbg

ovbg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    A Samsung Blu-Ray player (BD6500 or higher model) is also a good choice. They retail for around £100 or so, and they offer all of the UK services you may need.
    Amazon Prime Instant Video, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5, Netflix and so on.

A PS4 is also a good investment, and it currently offers the BBC iPlayer and Demand 5 plus Amazon PIV. The others will no doubt come in the future. The PS3 may sound good, but I would be careful as streaming services are constantly evolving and the PS3 is a dead end.

The PS4 also has a cool hidden feature in that you can add services from other countries and mix them in with the UK ones (Smart DNS needed for that though), but that is a different story.

The Roku3 box is a great choice, but currently missing Amazon PIV and ITV Player. I expect they will come soon though, as next010 points out, the US version has it, so it should be an easy enough port.

6. philozz17

philozz17
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you both for your concise replies. Both have been most helpful to me.
    I purchased a samsung bd6500 yesterday. I can do all i want, for the moment anyway, with it and at £94 from richer sounds it was really a no brainer.
    thank you again
    Phil