Streaming Quicktime MP4 Videos to PS3 from NAS?

Ci4N

I've recently tried streaming some podcasts to watch on my TV by streaming them to my PS3. I download all of them straight to my 2TB NAS drive.

I'm pretty sure the NAS is DLNA enabled (iOmega StorCentre ix2-200) as a logo shows up for it on my PS3. All the videos show up fine and the lower quality ones have no problems at all.

The problem is that most of the podcasts are in Quicktime HD which is in MP4 format. They video still plays but it's a bit dicey and it keeps stopping and starting to buffer.

The videos are only 720p and the video transfer rate is usually about 1.5-2mb per second, audio is negligible (maybe 0.1mbps).

There must be some kind of solution because when I tried streaming the same videos to another PC they worked fine, even though it's the same 100mbps router. PS3 is on a wired connection btw.

Has anybody got any suggestions? I've heard of things such as Twonky and TVersity being used to stream media but they only seem to work off a PC and I don't want to leave my whole computer on for this.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
MP4 has always been one of the PS3 most troublesome formats. I tend to stay away from MP4 unless i have no option. Personally I'd try re-encoding them to a different format with something .

I'd like to give you a helpful suggestion of a good app to convert with but haven't converted an MP4 for years I'm afraid.

CrispyXUK

mp4 plays fine, but the PS3 firmware is broken for streaming over a network and has been for ages, no idea why Sony haven't fixed it.

EDIT: MP4 is not a quicktime format btw.

next010

Distinguished Member
Are they actually .mp4 files just saved through Quicktime or are they .mov files ?

mov and mp4 are actually the same structure (mov was used as basis for MP4 container standard) but the problem with .mov files is they can hold formats not supported within the MP4 standard and do a few other things which can cause problems for players.

If they are H.264 video and AAC audio .mp4 files all I can suggest if try remuxing them into a new mp4 container using MP4Box GUI, on mux tab add a file (if the mov doesnt show select all files) then click save as & mux.

Ci4N

Are they actually .mp4 files just saved through Quicktime or are they .mov files ?

mov and mp4 are actually the same structure (mov was used as basis for MP4 container standard) but the problem with .mov files is they can hold formats not supported within the MP4 standard and do a few other things which can cause problems for players.

If they are H.264 video and AAC audio .mp4 files all I can suggest if try remuxing them into a new mp4 container using MP4Box GUI, on mux tab add a file (if the mov doesnt show select all files) then click save as & mux.

They are actually .mp4 files saved through Quicktime, not .mov files.

I think they are H.264 video and it's definitely AAC audio. I tried muxing a file and it did help a little but it's not perfect. It was still stuttering a bit at the start of the video. I might try a few more but it doesn't seem like a final solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom