Streaming queries Gbit lan and homeplugs

fatty5000

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently use the MKV2Vob and HDD method for playing HD content.

I also use TVersity for AVI's

Now I'm thinking Homeplugs and A gigabit lan card, Of which I have 2 onboard the PC,
Am I right in assuming it's a case of patch cable to homeplug (200mbps)- Homeplug too PS3 (gigabit lan port???)

Fire up TVersity and away to go !!!!

Last edited:
I currently use the MKV2Vob and HDD method for playing HD content.

I also use TVersity for AVI's

Now I'm thinking Homeplugs and A gigabit lan card, Of which I have 2 onboard the PC,
Am I right in assuming it's a case of patch cable to homeplug (200mbps)- Homeplug too PS3 (gigabit lan port???)

Fire up TVersity and away to go !!!!

Yes PS3 does have 1Gb Lan onboard (thanks Sony :) )

but remember if your using a Standard Broadband DSL router your gigabit Lan cards are effectivly reduced to the 100mb of your BB router you connect to. Other option is to keep one Lan card connected to Router and connect one directly to homeplug and bridge the connection on your PC.

Also it's unlikely you'll ever see more than 100mb through the homeplugs. (mine rarely even hit that!)

I'm now using Cat5e straight from PS3 to a Gigabit switch with PC and router also straight into switch. Works a treat; Straight gigabit between PC and PS3 :D

Last edited:
Cool

I was thinking of not going through the router i.e. one gbit port for the router and one straight into the homeplug then on too the ps3.

100mb is roughly 10 meg throughput iirc, so in reality about 7mb which should be ok for 720p ???

In additionto what Uridium pointed out - The network speed is only as fast as the slowest component.

IME I need about 6-7MB throughput for HD content @720p which wireless G simply can't do

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuttery ............Try unwatchable, in my experiments anyway, hence my other thread I just started lol

edit....IME I need about 6-7MB throughput for HD content @720p which wireless G simply can't do

Hmm I can stream 720p .mkvs converted with mkv2vob fine, although of course its heavily compressed and not true 720p content I suppose. If it was a raw 720p stream like you say it would be a no go. Still the quality is good with mkv/vob and it works over G for me.

It usually tops out at about 6 or 7Mbps, anything above 10Mbps and I get stutter vision.

If I'm honest I don't think I have even tried files converted with mkv2vob, :eek: iirc I tried a raw mkv through TVersity and it just played a few seconds then went bananas. That was a while back before I had even heard of the mkv-HDD method. I just got carried away with filling the HHD :(

Hmmm indeed I think I need a play around whenI get home and I may have inadvertantly made life difficult for myself for all these months

Cool

I was thinking of not going through the router i.e. one gbit port for the router and one straight into the homeplug then on too the ps3.

100mb is roughly 10 meg throughput iirc, so in reality about 7mb which should be ok for 720p ???

yeah you'll be fine for 720p, maybe with a little hesitancy if you ffwd/rwd

It all depends on whether it needed transcoding, if it did, using TVersity, you were trying to do it on the fly, which wouldn't help..

I don't find 720p mkv2vob converted films that bad, unwatchable yes, but I don't get a constant stuttering...they play at least....although that's not good enough obviously.

yeah you'll be fine for 720p, maybe with a little hesitancy if you ffwd/rwd

If you are playing 720p mkv's though I wouldn't bother wasting the money on homeplugs if you can stream wirelessly anyway. FFWD/RWD is a bit pants wirelessly, but it works and is usuable though, just takes a few seconds to catch up.

Last edited:
720p is a bit borderline for wireless all depends how good your wifi signal is. I sturggled a bit due to having an old house so homeplugs suited me.

I've since upgraded to wired 1Gb for 1080p streaming goodness ;)

Well wadda you know.

I fired up the servers both twonky and tversity.

Twonky streams 720p just fine, a little stuttery for the few seconds then it seems fine.

Tversity didn't want too know (unsupported file message) until I knocked off the transcode option, then it worked fine.

A few more questions for those in the know. In my folders it now shows two of each file......Is this because I'm running two servers maybe, also how do get the folders that are flagged as unsupported too show their proper names again as they won't attempt too play whilst they are flagged as duff files (lucky the duplicate file nameworks lol)

Stuttery ............Try unwatchable, in my experiments anyway, hence my other thread I just started lol

edit....IME I need about 6-7MB throughput for HD content @720p which wireless G simply can't do

Anyone got a slice of humble pie for me ....lol

I tried the .vob files from mkv2vob @720p last night and it all works fine over wi-fi G.

DOH

I take it all back !!!

When I pressed select on the ps3 the bitrate was bouncing between 1mb and about 17mbat it highest but it still played ok. I didn't watch the whole fillum though just a tester really for about 10 mins.

The ps3 reported the wi-fi signal at 42%.

I'll admit it left me kind of confused but it seem quite stable.

File size was 8.36 gb iirc spilt in two via mkv2vob (split to fat32 for the hdd I'll try a single file conversion later)

What does the compressing twonky or mkv2vob, I'ma little vague on this bit tbh.

I can hear what you're saying but logically, with that signal strength, there's no way it should work.

I've got usually around 90% strength and 720p's stutter.

I know it is quite odd. I know a fairbit about Wi-fi etc, so it does seem to defy the laws of wi-fi. Could it be that the ps3 kind of caches the info and if i were too try and watch the whole fillum it would start going mental.

Or has Mkv2Vob compressed it down too a more acceptable level :confused::confused:

I know it is quite odd. I know a fairbit about Wi-fi etc, so it does seem to defy the laws of wi-fi. Could it be that the ps3 kind of caches the info and if i were too try and watch the whole fillum it would start going mental.

Or has Mkv2Vob compressed it down too a more acceptable level :confused::confused:

It depends what the mkv was I suppose. I mainly use 720p TV episodes which are just fine over G but obviously they are quite heavily compressed (usually peak at 6-7Mbps), raw 720p stuff like game trailers and stuff wont play wirelessly for me which is what I would expect for G.

If you can play 17Mbit stuff over wireless then I am jealous. Mine would flake at that and I have 95-100% signal strength. I get maximum about 20Mbit when copying files but streaming doesn't seem to be able to match that.

I don't think the PS3 does any caching but I could be wrong, I have only ever used WMP11 to stream stuff though and have no experience with twonky/tversity/pms etc.

How long did MKV2VOB take to convert? If it was hours it may have compressed it a bit (not much though) if it was minutes then all it will have done is changed the container to a PS3 native one without touching video.(maybe converted the audio which would take 5mins or so)

Your comment above sounds like you didn't watch the whole fillum (love Father Ted ;)) so the inital bufferring by the PS3/Streaming app may account for the stutter free playback. especially if you only watched the intro or so...you may well find that as the stream continues you may well get some stuttering.

over wi-fi i used to get stuttering on anything over about 13mbit with a 50ish% signal

Last edited:
This is quite odd imo

I seem to be able too stream 720p stuff over the wireless quite happily with no stutter whatsover.

Bugger homeplugs for now I'm happy enough with that really!!!!

I tried a 1080p one at it was a little choppy and the bitrate was peaking at 100 MB a second, Not watchable but better than I thought it would be.

I have now switched the the PS3 Media server program as well. Thanks for heads up Uridium :smashin::smashin::smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom