streaming problem

coffee

Standard Member
using windows media player when ever i try to stream anything to my ps3 it keeps stopping and starting , cant watch any films because of this............help

skippi

using windows media player when ever i try to stream anything to my ps3 it keeps stopping and starting , cant watch any films because of this............help

Hi

You may like to look into using Tversity Media streamer instead of Windows Media Player, you can find them here http://tversity.com/

I have used this for a while with my PS3 and have only high praise for the application. I have not yet come across anything that I could not stream to the PS3, including photos, internet radio, audio & video. Many options to play with also to better use the network you use to stream, etc.

May be worth a look ?

All the best.

Skippi

dilfred

This is not the answer you probably want to hear, however it sounds like an internal intranet issue with you.

I presume you are using wifi between your PC/media centre and your PS3.
The bandwidth required is quite substantial for large videos to stream directly.

Skippi has a good solution regarding Tversity and this may solve the problem.

For a cheaper if viable option, you could try and connect the ethernet cable between your PS3 and media centre. If this resolves the issue, at least it shows it is your wifi speed, rather than something more substantial.

Maybe upgrade your modem to a faster speed? Withour more details of your intranet setup and how each computer communicates with each other it's a little difficult to decide what is causing the bottleneck

skippi

This is not the answer you probably want to hear, however it sounds like an internal intranet issue with you.

I presume you are using wifi between your PC/media centre and your PS3.
The bandwidth required is quite substantial for large videos to stream directly.

Skippi has a good solution regarding Tversity and this may solve the problem.

For a cheaper if viable option, you could try and connect the ethernet cable between your PS3 and media centre. If this resolves the issue, at least it shows it is your wifi speed, rather than something more substantial.

Maybe upgrade your modem to a faster speed? Withour more details of your intranet setup and how each computer communicates with each other it's a little difficult to decide what is causing the bottleneck

Hi dilfred

Just realised that my reply didn't help get Windows Media Player to work for "coffee".

I agree that bandwidth may be an issue. If bandwidth is ruled out I would then look into the codec's used on Media Player. If I recall Media player does not play many types of video without some additional codecs, i.e. doesn't play DVDs and other types of video formats.

Going back to TVersity - I connect both the PS3 & PC (where the content is) via 56Mbit wifi and have been able to stream video very well as TVersity converts (Transcodes) video to suit the network it is being used on. This means that I could play a HD video via wifi to my PS3 without issue, this does of course require a high spec PC and the transcoding will reduce the resolution down to standard definition. When I move to cat 5 ethernet to connect all hardware I will be able to stream higher bandwidth content.

TVersity seams to be able to stream a wide range of content to a wide range of devices.

Axum

Novice Member
You'll never be able to stream Full HD files wirelessly, there's just not enough bandwidth available, 720p files sometimes work, just depends on the size of it.

TVersity or WMP11 shouldn't make much of a difference to be honest. As already said, you'll need a beast of a pc to be able to transcode HD files on the fly and play without stuttering. The only thing i've not been able to play with WMP are .vob files, but you can just rename them to .mpg and they'll play fine.

If they are "normal" i.e. non-HD files you're trying to play, then there should be no problem wirelessly playing them, unless of course your signal strength is very low, so as has been said, it's worth giving a few more details as to your setup....

TVersity was good for me, until i switched to wired, then for some reason it didn't work at all!

flygti

Novice Member
I'm using SimpleCenter and I also get stuttering when trying to play most video formats. However if I plug my PC into the router using a cable it is much better. I am looking at doing this permanently.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom