• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Streaming over two subnets

knuttis

Standard Member
Hi!

Previously I was streaming media between my NAS mediaserver and PS3 over 802.11g, which had poor speeds and made my HD-movies impossible to stream.

I have recently bought a dlink router (dir-655) and AP (dap-1522) to enhance my throughput between my NAS mediaserver and PS3.
This solution is based on making a dedicated 802.11n network for the streaming. As my DSL modem only got 802.11g I need to add a router with n-capability (dlink dir-655). On the other side, dap-1522 is connected to the PS3 with cable and acts as a bridge.

All worked wonders before, but now I have introduced another subnet which makes it problematic to get dlna/upnp to work.

My setup is as described in the attachment.

Some background information before you analyze the issue:

- "everything" (internet connection, ping from and to other hosts on both the 20.0.0.x and 10.0.0.x subnets, etc) on the ps3 works apart from connecting to the NAS mediaserver
- I believe there are some problems with multicast-support, though both my DSL router and dlink router (dir-655) have enabled multicast.
- upnp is enabled on both routers
- there are no port-forwarding on either of the routers, apart from some ports to my NAS for makin internet hosts see my apache website hosted by the NAS.

The challenge is therefore:
- how to make the upnp-broadcasts from my NAS server on subnet 10.0.0.x to reach my ps3 on subnet 20.0.0.x and vica-versa?

Any tip on how to solve this issue will be greatly appreciated!!

Knut

Attachments

• nettverk.png
    nettverk.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 76

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom