Streaming of HDMI/Component to 2nd TV...possible?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by ben_gb, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ben_gb

ben_gb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes...

I have a cable TV box in my living room (with HDMI and Component output), and I want to be able to have the cable TV showing on a 2nd TV (which is in my bedroom - also has HDMI and Component inputs).

Basically I will be watching the same channels on either the living room TV or the bedroom, so I don't want to buy a 2nd cable box (and there are wiring issues which may make a 2nd box impossible in the bedroom anyway).

I want the living room TV to remain connected at high quality (it's 1080p and uses the HDMI output from the cable box).

(Actually, for clarity, the HDMI from the cable box goes into my Home Theatre amp, and there is another HDMI from the amp to the TV.)

The one big issue is that I need this to operate either wirelessly (preferred), or over cat-6 ethernet/TCPIP, as I cannot pass extra cables between the living room and bedroom (but there are already cat-6 ethernet sockets in the bedroom and living room).

Does anyone have any idea how I can do this and maintain a high quality signal on both TVs (the bedroom TV is 46" so too much signal degradation would be a problem)?

Controlling the cable box from the bedroom could be done with a separate remote control blaster, I guess, though an integrated solution would be great.

I hope this is all clear.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Ben

2. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,797
    hdmi can be sent over cat6 cables, but you need two dedicated runs to carry the signals. You can get a 1 in 2 output hdmi splitter, get some baluns for the cat6 cables,hen run one output from the splitter to your amp using hdmi, then teh other goes to your bedroom over the cat6 cable.

3. ben_gb

ben_gb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the reply.

Problem is I only have one cat-6 ethernet socket in each room, so I'm not sure this would work for me.