Streaming music to 2 rooms on a shoestring

wuffles

Hi.

First of all, apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum.

Just building a master suite extension and would like to be able to stream from a raspberry pi through an amp I have found knocking about to two "zones" (bedroom and bathroom) on the cheap.

In my head my plan was, get hold of some ceiling speakers, two for the bedroom and two for the bathroom, wire them all back to the amp via some double pole switches in the bathroom (bear with me here) to allow them to be turned off when that zone isn't required.

Ideal scenario, music will play in the bedroom at any time, walk into the bathroom, flick the switch, music comes out of the ceiling speakers there too.

The amp I have earmarked for this is quite an old Onkyo CR-715DAB with 50watts per channel.

Am I onto a hiding to nothing here, should I simply rig up a separate raspberry pi for the bathroom with an amp hat to power some ceiling speakers there instead.

Flynch191

Streaming music to 2 rooms on a shoestring....
....Just turn it up louder :laugh::rotfl:

que joke drum ...bom bom dish... followed by a tumble weed...
..Sorry for a pointless c£@p answer that didn’t help you. :censored::blush:

wuffles

Streaming music to 2 rooms on a shoestring....
....Just turn it up louder :laugh::rotfl:

que joke drum ...bom bom dish... followed by a tumble weed...
..Sorry for a pointless c£@p answer that didn’t help you. :censored::blush:
That's probably where it'll end up :)

wuffles

I see this was moved to the Music Streamers sub-forum, apologies, but perhaps the title is misleading as it's more about speakers and wiring than streaming.

I guess the nub is this, is it ok to power 4 speakers sometimes from a 2 channel amp?

Edit: To answer my own question, a few articles and youtube videos later it seems fine considering the Ohm ratings involved in my particular scenario.

Last edited:

dannnielll

You have a number of viable options.
If the speakers are 16 ohm you can wire them in parallel and have the music available in both locations simultaneously or using a double pole switch with the red speaker lead for each channel switched through each pole.
If the speakers are 8 ohm you can probably get away with it, unless you are on full volume..in which case the amplifier will eventually complain. .
Alternatively and many AVRs have a selector for 8 or 4 ohm , then the 4 ohm position restores the safety margin.
Many amplifiers and AVRs have AB switches so that two separate sets of Speakers can be used in different rooms, but not simultaneously.

wuffles

Thanks all. It pushed me to look into it further and kind of solved the issue in the edit in the post above, but it's good to have clarification.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom