Streaming music from PC to sony BDV E280

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by peterj1974, Aug 25, 2012.

1. peterj1974

peterj1974
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a sony BDV E280 home cinema system and a sony KDL 46EX524.

If I connect my LAN to the TV I can stream music and photos to the TV but the sound comes via the TV speakers.

Ideally I want to stream the music via the surround sound so I have connected my LAN to the BDV-E280. I have confirmed that the network is working by updating the code on the system and browsing the internet. But I am unable to see my PC media server to stream music. If I go to the music section in the menu the only thing I can do is access sony provided content.

Is there anyway to access my media PC via this system, or alternatively go back to connecting the LAN to my TV and getting the TV to use the surround sound?
    Thanks
    Pete

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    When I googled your system, some results said it was DNLA compliant and others said it wasn't which was very confusing. I downloaded the manual and can find no mention of any such compliance or the ability to stream content from a PC/NAS/MAC. The only network features I could find were access to online content. Therefore I'm afraid that I conclude that you can't so you will have to use the TV. Another option would be to put some of the movies on a memory stick and view them via USB.

The TV and home cinema system appear to be Audio Return Channel (ARC) compatible so firstly confirm that you have connected the home cinema system to the HDMI input marked ARC on the TV. Then you will need to turn on all ARC options (most likely within HDMI settings) to On. Also ensure that any HDMI control (CEC) functions are turned on. Sony calls these Bravia Sync. However, after all that, it is no guarantee that the TV will pass audio from network features or external sources. It's all down to the TV so you will need to try it and check the manual.