Streaming music from NAS to Hifi system

B

bwpaddo

Hi there

I have a NAS (WD My World I) and a network hifi system (Sony CMT-MX750NI). Both are DLNA compliant. I want to stream my music from the NAS to the hifi system. I have no problems accessing internet radio stations over the network.
The Sony user manual says that this is possible for "server devices with Microsoft Windows Media Player 12 installed on Windows 7". The manual then goes on to explain how to turn on media streaming in Windows 7 which I've done. It also refers to the Microsoft help page for details on how to operate WMP12.
I've set up WMP12, i.e. set the NAS as the default place for the music files and let it build the library file.
Now when I try to access the NAS from the hifi system, I can see the device listed in my home network, but I can't access it, i.e. when I select it, the hifi system tries to connect to it for a while but doesn't succeed.
What's wrong? I can think of two potential reasons: 1. Does the WMP library file have to be on the NAS rather than on my PC's hard drive? If yes, is there any specific path and/or file name I have to use on the NAS? 2. Do I have to change some settings in WMP first? As I said, in the home network settings, I have enabled file sharing for all devices including the hifi system.
Thanks for any useful hints and tips!

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Welcome to the forum.

From what you say, I'd guess that both the WD My World and the PC running WMP 12 could be offering DLNA service to the network. However, only the WD is being recognised by the CMT-MX750NI and the two are not compatible. DLNA isn't much of a 'standard' and is incredibly flakey.

I'd suggest you need to see why the PC running WMP12 isn't picked up by the CMT-MX750NI. Could be a firewall issue if you have Norton/Macafee stuff installed. Likely that the CMT-MX750NI has only been tested against WMP12/Windows 7.

Last edited:
B

bwpaddo

I can see my PC listed in the home network, too. I can even access it, however, as there are no music files on it, the hifi system is unable to find any tracks on it.

B

bwpaddo

I guess my first question is what does it mean to have the NAS running WMP12? Does that mean the actual WMP software has to be installed on the NAS? Or do I have to put a copy of the WMP library file on the NAS?

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
WMP won't be installed on your NAS, as WMP is a Windows program.

NB I've found with Sony TV and Sony blueray player have very weak support for streaming music, basically .mp3 format files are the only reliable option. If your music is FLAC, AAC etc. encoded then chances are the Sony hi-fi won't cope anyway.

Just to debug things, try having a few .mp3 files on the Windows system, in the WMP12 library and take the NAS out the equation. Can these mp3 files be played by the Sony hi-fi?

Seems to me you have two options (I'm assuming your collection of music files are sitting on the NAS) -

1) Set-up the NAS so it can be mounted as a shared drive from Windows (i.e. M:\ for music), then have WMP12 on Windows monitor that share so it can build its library. WMP can then (re)share its library contents to DLNA devices like the hi-fi. You can see in Windows if the library has been built and the music can be played locally from WMP. Then you'd need to sort out any sharing/firewall issues with the Sony hi-fi.

2) Forget about WMP12 and Windows and focus only on why the DLNA service from the NAS isn't compatible with the Sony hi-fi. Could be worth scouting the WD forums (I assume they have some) to see if other people have the same problem.

Last edited:

Jon Haworth

Standard Member
Hi bwpaddo, I have just purchased the MX750Ni and am having the same difficulty as you streaming music. The stereo finds media files which are on my main PC but not on the shared NAS drive where the bulk of my music is stored. WMP12 has created a library which includes all of this material but the Sony doesn't seem to see it. What did you do to fix the problem and do you have to have your PC turned on to stream the music? I am thinking about buying a DLNA compatible NAS drive to see if I can stream files direct to the stereo without the PC being on but don't want to shell out the cash if it won't work! Thanks in anticipation. Jon

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom