Streaming music around the house, but already have the speakers

Stampax

Hi all, hoping for some advice. I have stereos in most rooms in my house, and would like the ability to be able to stream music from my computer (a mac) to them. The thing is, i'm happy with the speakers as it is, so don't really want to replace them, i just want to add extra functionality to them. Is this possible? It would also be really nice to be able to control them with my iphone. I have 3 sets of speakers I would like to connect.

Thanks very much for any advice :)

Redeye UK

If its just for music you're in the wrong section, there is section with a very similar name a little further down 'streamers and network MUSIC players'.

Have you looked at Sonos? This will do everything you want, the ZP120 connects directly to your speakers, the ZP90 plugs into your hifi. You can also control it with an iphone or ipod touch. Its very good, not the cheapest but very easy to set up and use.

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
I suggest Logitech Squeezebox. You can stream iTunes from your Macintosh or PC to separate Squeezeboxes for each of your audio systems.

Download the 'iPeng' app to your iPod Touch/iPhone to control the whole system.

Squeezebox is cheaper and more comprehensive in its functionality than Sonus.

Stampax

Thanks for the advice. From an itial look it seems I can get a logitech squeezebox for about £145 which connect to my existing stereo system or the other thing i've looked at is the Apple Airport express - which seems to do similar for half the price. Or am i missing something?

coolio107

Thanks for the advice. From an itial look it seems I can get a logitech squeezebox for about £145 which connect to my existing stereo system or the other thing i've looked at is the Apple Airport express - which seems to do similar for half the price. Or am i missing something?
Well, you said "around the house", which sounds like you want more than one player.
For this, Airport express is not a good choice, it's quite limited.
Plus, it has almost no streaming services (Napster, internet radios, things like that).
Squeezebox and Sonos give you that: They are multiruum systems allowing you to play same or different content on each player and they come with lots of services and are open for internet radio.

BTW, which Squeezebox was at 145? They come in flavors :
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
>Or am i missing something? <

Yes, but it may not matter to you.

The Apple's can't be synced into a multi-zone system for one thing.

The analogue audio quality from them isn't too clever either. Most peeps accept they need to run the S/PDIF into an external DAC/AV Receiver.

Last edited:

Stampax

Well, you said "around the house", which sounds like you want more than one player.
For this, Airport express is not a good choice, it's quite limited.
Plus, it has almost no streaming services (Napster, internet radios, things like that).
Squeezebox and Sonos give you that: They are multiruum systems allowing you to play same or different content on each player and they come with lots of services and are open for internet radio.

BTW, which Squeezebox was at 145? They come in flavors :
HardwareComparison - SqueezeboxWiki

Not fussed about streaming services. i'd like more than one, but would only use one at a time. Does that make a difference?

coolio107

Not fussed about streaming services. i'd like more than one, but would only use one at a time. Does that make a difference?
That's what I started with, too :D

But yes, that makes a difference, for that setup AE may be fine. It's also probably the most simple solution, setup wise, in your situation.

Just don't come back later an say you want radio - radio IS a cool thing, believe me.
I'm now down to the 2-unit stereo rack: Server (with CD drive) plus Squeezebox.

I don't know how well the syncing between players works with AE - it's perfect with SB and Sonos.

Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Are each of the three pairs of speakers connected to an individual Stereo system or are the three pairs linked back to one Stereo system?

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Ideally three wired or wireless Networked players with one player connected to each of your stereos and full control via your iPhone's.

With Sonos you will require three ZP90 ZonePlayers - one hard wired to your router or three ZP90 ZonePlayers plus a ZoneBridge (with the ZoneBridge hard wired to your router).

You will need Wi-Fi coverage around the house if you want to use the iPhone rather than Sonos CR100 controllers - with Sonos controllers you don't require Wi-Fi as the Sonos ZonePlayer's form there own wireless mesh.

If you install a single ZonePlayer you would need to work out how to distribute its signal to three rooms!

Joe

Cintra

Standard Member
A thing to be aware of with Squeezebox (which I have used for ages) is that it doesn't like 802.11 b/g/n networks.

I had to set up a separate b/g network in addition to a Time Capsule running on /n in order to get Squeezebox back on the air.

Btw, if you have an Airport Express set up in proxysta mode, you can connect the squeezebox via an ethernet cable to the Express (running on /n ! ), if you really need Air Tunes and Squeezebox ;)

Hope that makes sense..

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
A thing to be aware of with Squeezebox (which I have used for ages) is that it doesn't like 802.11 b/g/n networks.

I had to set up a separate b/g network in addition to a Time Capsule running on /n in order to get Squeezebox back on the air.

Btw, if you have an Airport Express set up in proxysta mode, you can connect the squeezebox via an ethernet cable to the Express (running on /n ! ), if you really need Air Tunes and Squeezebox ;)

Hope that makes sense..

The problem is not with 'N' networks, there are known issues with the time capsule though.

Cintra

Standard Member
The problem is not with 'N' networks, there are known issues with the time capsule though.
Its the same with my Airport Extreme which is set to 'b/g/n compatible' for best results from my Macbook ..Squeezebox just doesn't accept that network, though my Mobile does.

mvh

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom