Streaming MP3's to Hi-fi

M

Mon The Fish

My mp3's are stored on a Netgear SC101 networked hard drive, connected to my wireless router. My PC accesses this wirelessly.

What I want to do, is to be able to access and play my music files on my hi-fi downstairs, without having the PC on. Is this possible? I've seen the Netgear EVA700, is this what I need?

andrew1810

I don't think any of the streamers will work with your Netgear NAS because it needs software on the client to work

If you are willing to change NAS, you get a lot more options, have a look at the Squeezebox, Roku, Noxon etc.

u8myufo

You could try one of these Mon, if you can get it cheap enough.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREEVIEW-NETG...ryZ96964QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have one myself and works fine for the MP3`s that I dont burn to disk, excellent for streaming slideshows to the tv and even video. It runs without any probs, but obviously you do have to have the pc turned on, and hey its cool for just surfing the net and checking your e-mails from your armchair, it does have its limitations as far as showing certain content is concerned from the net. Mine is hard wired but im sure you can set it up for wireless as well if you buy the right adapter to plug into the i-player. :)

I notice that the one for sale does not have a keyboard with it, but they can be bought seperately.
http://www.iplayer.co.uk/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5

u8myufo

Thats a fair enough answer but if funds are limited ( that I dont know) then an iplayer would suffice, ok it would mean the hardship of having the pc on and copying the tracks you wanted to listen to into the shared folder of the PC, but any half decent machine would throw a few albums over in as many minutes. There is then no reason it wont work. :)

fattiereturns

Standard Member
I also have this issue, but I believe there are players which could solve the problem, depending on the logistics of the router / hifi.

See here

I'm not so fussed about requiring the PC switched on, so I was thinking along the lines of bluetooth, are there any adaptors which would plug into the "mic" socket on the hifi, but take its feed from the bluetooth on the laptop???

Thanks

F:hiya:

lazymatt

Novice Member
I also have this issue, but I believe there are players which could solve the problem, depending on the logistics of the router / hifi.

See here

Those don't have a screen, so need to be connected to the TV.

Have a look at the Logitech DJ. It's got a great remote, with a screen.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2653,CONTENTID=11828

Plugs into the phono inputs on your hi fi (rather than mic) but you can get a phono to minijack connector if you need to plug it into your mic socket.

fattiereturns

Standard Member
This is a great item, but I was hoping to go wireless. I'd rather not have to plug into the laptop via USB, I was looking for something which could use bluetooth or a WLAN to get music from the laptop. Is there anything like this out there?

F:thumbsup:

lazymatt

Novice Member
It is wireless.

There's a wireless USB dongle that plugs into the computer, and then a receiver/dock which plugs into your Hi-Fi.

Your tunes are then controlled by the remote, and streamed wirelessly from the transmitter dongle to the receiver.

fattiereturns

Standard Member
It is wireless.

There's a wireless USB dongle that plugs into the computer, and then a receiver/dock which plugs into your Hi-Fi.

Your tunes are then controlled by the remote, and streamed wirelessly from the transmitter dongle to the receiver.
yeah, I smell what you're cooking, it is wireless but it's not from a standard bluetooth "dongle" which is usually same shape and size as a memory stick. I'm thinkin that if I'm using the laptop to stream music to the stereo with this, then it's gonna be a hassle if the missus wants to wander round the house with the laptop, she'll have that dirty big transmitter on a cable to humph around as well, rather than a standard bluetooth dongle which would be no hassle at all. (hope I'm making sense).

Any ideas?

Thanks

u8myufo

No reply from Mon the Fish who started the post, maybe he`s gone out and bought himself a radio :devil:

E

Eraserhead

first off I have never used a networked hard-drive (presume it is a stand alone unit with its own iP? But - IF this thing has USB host connector you could get that new Xdock thingy from creative:

It is meant to be used, primarily, as an ipod docking station for wireless streaming but as it has USB connector it might work with your networked hard-drive.

There is a demo here
I can't find info on protocol used anywhere in specs so presume it is some proprietary flavor.

I mean the purpose of this toy is exactly "streaming MP3's to Hi-fi" without PC powered on but it is not exactly a tiny dongle ;)

M

Mon The Fish

After looking about a bit more, I think the Logitech Wireless DJ Music System, Slim Devices Squeezebox 3, and the Sonneteer BardUSB would suit my needs.

I'm tempted with the Logitech, but I use J River Media Center to manage my library, and I don't think the Logitech supports it.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations of the above products?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
After looking about a bit more, I think the Logitech Wireless DJ Music System, Slim Devices Squeezebox 3, and the Sonneteer BardUSB would suit my needs.

I'm tempted with the Logitech, but I use J River Media Center to manage my library, and I don't think the Logitech supports it.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations of the above products?
Squeezebox 3 wins hands down.

lazymatt

Novice Member
yeah, I smell what you're cooking, it is wireless but it's not from a standard bluetooth "dongle" which is usually same shape and size as a memory stick. I'm thinkin that if I'm using the laptop to stream music to the stereo with this, then it's gonna be a hassle if the missus wants to wander round the house with the laptop, she'll have that dirty big transmitter on a cable to humph around as well, rather than a standard bluetooth dongle which would be no hassle at all. (hope I'm making sense).

Any ideas?
Blu tack!:D

M

Mon The Fish

Squeezebox 3 wins hands down.
Why's that? I've only looked at the manufacturers websites, and I like the idea of the display on the Logitech remote. But if the Squeezebox is better, I'd rather have that.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Why's that? I've only looked at the manufacturers websites, and I like the idea of the display on the Logitech remote. But if the Squeezebox is better, I'd rather have that.
The Squeezebox is far better. Better format support (inc Lossless), more features and sound quality. The SB3 more of a hifi solution, the Logitech DJ is more of a bedroom/small minisystem kind of thing. If you can afford it, get a SB3.

lazymatt

Novice Member
The Squeezebox is far better. Better format support (inc Lossless), more features and sound quality. The SB3 more of a hifi solution, the Logitech DJ is more of a bedroom/small minisystem kind of thing. If you can afford it, get a SB3.
The SB3 is the better product, for the reasons Autopilot mentions, however,the Logitech DJ does have it's place. If all you're ever going to do is plug it into a mini system, and feed it MP3's it's great. Also handy if you don't have an existing wireless network.

I know people who are happy listening to low bit rate (160 kbps) MP3's streamed to a Roku Soundbridge and played through their telly:suicide: ...the SB3 would be over kill for them.

fattiereturns

Standard Member
so are we sayin that there isn't one available yet? there's nothing that will send mp3 via a little bluetooth dongle to a "receiver" unit which I can jack into my stereo???

Thanks

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
so are we sayin that there isn't one available yet? there's nothing that will send mp3 via a little bluetooth dongle to a "receiver" unit which I can jack into my stereo???

Thanks

Bluetooth is too slow and will limit you being able to send high quality audio. Also the range is far lower than wifi. Hardly anyone one uses bluetooth for streaming audio, just wifi. But yes, such a device as you describe does exist, but not using bluetooth, the ones that are around are not worth bothering with.

fattiereturns

Standard Member
if it does the music only, maybe £120-150, if it does my movies as well, maybe £250, wouldn't mind something with a display on the remote....and need to be able to que music up, make up a playlist for a party etc....if it behaved like winamp or wmp that would be great.....

a couple of days after binning my old xbox console, I later found out that it was capable of streaming my audio and video from landisk with a few tweaks....gutted!!!

Thanks

F:D

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug