Streaming movies for dummies: Why use a streaming device - what's the point?

West Coast

Standard Member
I'm a n00b to the matter of streaming movies from the Internet over to a big HDTV, in my case a Vizio HDTV.

I want to start streaming movies issued by Netflix and Amazon into my residence. For several days I was under the impression that you need a special device to stream an Amazon or Netflix movie. But I was wrong, dead wrong!

You can stream with an X-box, but if you're not a gamer and have ZERO interest in gaming why go out and pay big bucks for an X-box? Save your money!

Ditto for Tivo. Tivo will stream a movie for ya. Keep in mind that Tivo costs $300. You can save $300 right there by not buying Tivo!

Roku makes an Amazon/Netflix streaming device, but it costs $100 and...I found out that Roku's tech support department lacks quality service, so to speak. So save you can save $100 and a little money on aspirin that you would have used to squash your headache!

Folks, what I'm saying is all you need is a $20 CABLE (sometimes less than 20 bucks) to accomplish this task and not a $100-400 HARDWARE device.

Am I missing something when I say you don't need all that hardware to stream a movie when all you have to do is stream it from your computer over to your HDTV via an HDMI or some other cable?

Palladio

Hi West Coast, There maybe someone here that can help but as it's a UK based Forum not many members will have experience of Netflix or Tivo.

Might be worth trying AVS Forum for some US based advice.

:hiya:

catch'em1

Novice Member
The point of streaming is that if you are lets say in the garden or the bedroom and the actual content is a few rooms away then you don't need a really long cable.

When you say "when all you have to do is stream it from your computer over to your HDTV via an HDMI or some other cable?" Some PC's do not have the right connection to connect to a TV directly and when you do it the way you are saying the computer cannot be used by anyone else because you are watching the movie, presumably full screen.

If you stream the movie from your PC to the device wirelessly, which is connected to the TV it avoids moving the PC around and if you use something called Tversity which is free then you can run that in the background and do other stuff on the PC, very useful if you have 2 people or more living in the same house. So one person can watch the movie on the TV while someone else is watching it on there laptop all of course done wirelessly

Gavtech

Administrator
Am I missing something when I say you don't need all that hardware to stream a movie when all you have to do is stream it from your computer over to your HDTV via an HDMI or some other cable?
... Well yes. A computer is a ubiquitous device which is hardware acting as a streaming device.. so yes you need hardware.

Depending on the source, you are also quite likely to encounter HDCP issues which may prevent you doing as you would wish... especially via HDMI.

To enlarge on the above, computers are wonderfully flexible devices which can emulate almost anything... and do it - badly. They are not as adept as dedicated hardware devices for attending to any particular task.

They can stream - but are extremely unlikely to do it as well as a machine that has been designed for the job

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom