• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

streaming mkv over ethernet

longcafe

Standard Member
Hi I use egreat r6a2 for long time. I tried streaming 1080p mkv files in 3 ways and not succeed. Files under 8-9gb was ok but biggers laggy in bright scenes .
1. pc to router via wireless n--router to egreat ethernet (cat6) (n adapter near the router)
2. pc to router via ethernet -- router to egreat ethernet (cat6)
3. directly from pc to egreat
i got gigabit 1000mbps ethernet on my pc but not on the egreat as you know. Maybe this is the problem I dont know :)

next010

Distinguished Member
Could it be a problem with the player, does it plays the same files okay via USB ?

Try streaming the videos from the PC via DLNA, that should give the highest network speed performance (ideally ethernet link no wireless should be used). Install Serviio on your PC then browse UPnP on the Egreat to access Serviio listings.

longcafe

Standard Member
plays all type&size files also 50gb bluray files without problem via usb.
I dont know much about dlna. asus m5a97 motherboard supports it?
while streaming lan activity never goes over 30-40 mbps tried to change green ethernet settings off and disabling microsoft network throttling in reg but still same.

next010

Distinguished Member
DLNA is a software media server that streams media over the network, it's much faster than SMB1.0 (windows networking) which is what the media player is limited to. These players dont support modern SMB2/3 speeds only the old SMB1.

Install Serviio on Windows, add some folders containing media then browse UPnP on the egreat player,

longcafe

Standard Member
Thank you it works well. But there is a small problem. Fast forward and reverse is too slow its only 2x is there a solution for this?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom