Streaming Media

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by cmclean, Feb 10, 2009.

1. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Anyone in here streaming media from their WHS to the following....

Xbox 360
    PS3
    XBMC

If so could you tell me what file type you are ripping your SD DVD and Blu Ray movies to please and also how you are able to stream them to each of the devices.

I cannot seem to find a conclusive solution to rip both movie types to be stored in a single file format on my WHS that can be played on all devices. Yes I know I can't play the HD movies on my XBMC without special cables and stuff so just wanting to play the SD DVDs on that.

Thanks

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I'm streaming DVD .ISOs from my whs to an AppleTV running XBMC. Runs fine I using it for TV series so get the full menu and not encountered any problems.

Have AVI's and a couple of MKVs but not sent them to XBMC so dont know if they work as I'm happy with the .ISOs. Also not tried bluray yet

I also stream to a PCH-100 with no issues.

3. Synchro

Synchro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,538
    Tried streaming a Blu-ray ISO the other day :thumbsdow

Need to upgrade my network a little :smashin:

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Ripping SD-DVD to single vob file and Bluray to MKV. not fussed about menu's etc.. just the main video and 5.1 audio stream.

Stream to my PS3 using PS3 Media Server

appreicate PS3 doesn't playback MKV but I'm kinda hoping it will in the near future :rolleyes:

5. sparkygeezer

sparkygeezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    MPG files seem work ok for both XBOX360 & XBMC not sure about PS3 but I can not why not.

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    What software are people using to rip their DVD's/BD's?

I've looked into this in the past (for DVD's) but ended up banging my head against a brick wall as software either didn't work, codecs wouldn't install, or didn't preserve the 5.1 audio.

Also, are you re-encoding to a more efficient format or just taking the data as is and dumping it into a different container file format

7. cmclean

cmclean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Isn't such a straightforward question to answer because it really depends on what program your planning to use to stream as that may only support certain video formats and also what your player is for example Xbox, PS3, etc?

However, to try to answer your question I use AnyDVD HD which will rip DVD and Blu Ray without any issues. I rip DVD's as .iso files store them on my WHS and play them using XBMC mostly. They will also play fine via PS3 Media Server to my PS3

I'm still trying to get a solid solution for Blu Ray playback so I currently rip Blu Ray movies to .iso file too so that I have a complete rip of the disc and then have tried converting to .m2ts, etc

The downside to my method if I'm honest is that movies take up a huge amount of space but I'm ok with it cos hard disks are so cheap these days and my WHS has tons of capacity.

On the positive side in relation to your audio issues this will preserve all the audio formats and allow me to choose which audio track even manually using XBMC.

But as I said at the start it depends what your using to stream and what to as your codec issues will relate more to those than what software you use to rip

Hope this helps

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm currently looking at using the built-in media playing capabilities of TVs to play things back - probably the facilities in the current Samsung line as they seem to support quite a wide range of formats.

Obviously if I went this way just ripping ISOs isn't going to be any good as the set won't recognise them - ideally it needs to be into one of the formats the set supports (see here about halfway down the page for the formats supported by the Samsung I'm looking at).

I've also got to hope I can find a format that the set will be able to output the 5.1 audio from via its optical output.