Streaming Media Newbie - need some help!

andyh2451

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a NowTV account which works great on my Windows 7 laptop.
So I've just bought a new TV which supports multiple HDMI inputs and I hooked up the Win7 box to the TV. After a lot of fiddling I managed to get a decent picture on the TV but its not where I want to be. I want a dedicated setup to primarily stream NowTV movies to my TV which will free up my Win7 box to do other things. I've been looking at an M6 Android XBMC PC Media Stream TV Box which I think will do the job. My understanding is that Android is the operating system and XBMC is the primary media centre software? Is this right? The other thing that I'm puzzled over is the term "Jailbroken" Can someone please explain this? Please let me know if you require further information.

Regards,
Andy

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It wont do what you want so I'd stick with the NowTV box, that the only device that will work with your sky account.

The NowTV streams media from the internet Sky service so your broadband might be a factor or the internal wireless, if possible try using ethernet or homeplugs which are ethernet over power cables to deliver a more stable internet link to the NowTV box which might result in better image quality.

Nowtv box is wireless only and only 720p, if you want a wired connection and 1080p you can buy a roku for about 50 notes you'll also then be able to get amazon and netflix on it if this matters. The nowtv box is basically a cut down roku box, but as it's only 9.99 it's something of a bargain you can also side load plex to stream your own media.

Last edited:
cool! Thanks mentm. I have bought the NowTV box and it works fine. Didn't know it was only 720p though. I will certainly look at the Roku as well.

The NowTV is a rebrand of Roku but it lacks some of the channels on the official Roku one of which is Plex a media player system (only useful if you have PC/NAS running Plex media server), you can manually install Plex on the NowTV boxes which is basically what side load means.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom