Streaming lossless from a NAS into Onkyo TX-8270?

eddywouldgo

Novice Member
Will the setup I describe below work?
Where "work" is defined as get lossless quality sound from a storage device through a set of speakers.
Here's the hardware I'm working with already:
Onkyo TX-8270 receiver
Boston Acoustics A400 speakers
There's also a CD player, but I don't want to use it. Rather, I don't want to deal with CDs. All my CDs have been ripped to FLAC and currently reside on a couple hard drives.
The end goal: Stream the FLAC files from the NAS to the receiver and control the music via iOS app.
The TX-8270 works well enough sound wise, but I can't play my FLAC files from a hard drive because it only recognizes fat32 file format and this limits hard drive size to 32GB. So right now, I am listening to my collection via a single USB connected hard drive broken into many 32GB partitions. Additionally, browsing on the Onkyo when playing is very unfriendly. It's basically drill the folder structure layer by layer.
Proposed solution: Put all the music on a DLNA/UPnP-compliant NAS and set up a Raspberry Pi with some flavor of media player (Logitech Media Server, Plex, Roon, etc.) to run it.
Configuring the NAS, building the Pi, and pointing an iOS app at the whole thing to control it are well within my skill set. Most of the configuration of the media serving seems to be done in a web interface. However, my audio kung fu is weak. A whole lot of Googling reveals many solutions involving DACs. I don't think I need a DAC for this (or do I?) as the Pi, the NAS, and the receiver will all be on the same wired LAN and I'm not trying to connect any of those devices directly to an analog input.
My main questions are:
Am I right about not needing a DAC?
Am I missing something obvious?
Is the Onkyo TX-8270 capable of doing this? (One or two threads found saying it limits digital inputs to 96Hz, but I cannot verify).
Thanks very much.

larkone

Distinguished Member
P31 of the manual describes how you can stream directly from a NAS or PC to the Onkyo so no RaspPi needed. It will use the Onkyo DACs - there is an Onkyo Controller app Applications | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website. If you are listening to ripped CDs then these are 16/44 so well within the Onkyo specs

P61
Music Server
FLAC
(.flac/.FLAC):
Supported sampling rates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz
Quantization bit: 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit

Last edited:

athegn1

Novice Member
Yesterday I connect my Dell laptop to my TX 8270, via HDMI, and played FLACs held on a 400GB microSD card inserted in the Dell. This only sends bits to the Onkyo so its DAC does the DA conversation.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom