Streaming Live TV to a NMT

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Lexfordparc, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Lexfordparc

Lexfordparc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been lurking for some time and doing some research on the web.

What I would like to do is have a central media server (have a Core2 Quad x48 based server) to stream ripped DVD's and Live TV.

If I understand things correctly then devices such as the PCH, Tvix range, eGreat are genericly known as Network Media Tanks and all use the same basic cheapset, Sigma Design?

I can point a NMT at a SMB share on my Media Centre server and it will catalogue and then stream my ripped DVDs?

Is it possible to use these devices with LiveTV? For example if I purchased a FireDTV Satellite capture card I could then watch a Live TV stream (Freesat, Sky FTA) from the device as well?

Does software exist that brings these two functions seamlessly together?

TIA

Paul

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    The PCH has been integrated with GB-PVR which I believe supports the Fire-DTV.

I haven't had time to properly try this - as I have the bits that I need...

Streaming DVDs over the network is possible - both as VIDEO_TS and ISO variants. AIUI NFS is better than SMB for this - though http is faster it doesn't support all formats of DVD?

3. Lexfordparc

Lexfordparc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve I'll check out GB-PVR again.

Paul

4. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Hi, can I piggyback this thread as I was going to post a new one with this question ?

I am wondering if there's any (preferrably freeware) Windows software which can stream captured video either as a UPnP service or as a fake file streamed by the existing UPnP software ?

My PC has a Pinnacle analogue TV PCI card (BT848), and I can view it fine on the PC with Videolan VLC media player.
    I also have a Philips SL400i, which can show many AVI, Divx, Mpeg etc video files stored on drives attached to the PC, and with the Philips supplied UPnP server software (PMM, Philips customised SimpleCentre) also DVDs in the PC reader or .ISO in a virtual drive, via the wired network (choice was made not to enable the wireless on the SL400i and the router, at the moment).
    The SL400i works via UPnP. As not all internet radio stations and video shares (youtube) now broadcast in compatible format for the SL400i (Real as opposed to MP3/WMA/MPG), I use TVersity which converts internet streams into a compatible format, and allows the SL400i to access it as a "fake" file. (This of course requires a PC to be powered running the conversion, not the intended way to use an internet streaming device!)