Streaming live, over the air, TV

ericgorr

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently cut the cord with Cable & Dish based TV and am going with just streaming what I can via Netflix, Hulu, etc. and am currently receiving local channels over the air.

The problem is that on the middle level of my home where the primary TV sits, the reception is horrible. On the upper level of my home, the reception is nearly perfect.

What I am looking for is some solution where I can connect my indoor antenna to some device upstairs and then stream live, over the air, content to some other device connected to my primary TV.

Does any such solution exist?

Thank you.

Or just bite the bullet and get a proper outdoor or loft aerial wired in to the rooms.

You could try a videosender for wireless sending or a slingbox for internet streaming. For either you may need a seperate STB tuner - or may not.

Amazon.co.uk: tv transmitter wireless

Thanks, searching for 'tv transmitter wireless' turned up what appear to be solutions which match my preference.

Now, if I can just figure out which one works best and avoid the purchase & return cycle until I find one that would work for me, that would be great.

If anyone has any experience with this kind of product, I would be interested in learning about it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What you were originally looking at is a network PVR, this connects to your antenna then captures the video stream sending it to the clients on the network. These tend to be DIY setups due to some of the complexity & they are not cheap options either.

There is one consumer model I know of you can buy from Elgato the EyeTV NetSteam in DVB-T and DVB-S2 form. There is an Android app available for it & there are Android TV set top boxes out there, I've never tried this combination so I've no idea how well it could work or simply not at all so it would be a gamble.

The wireless video sender is the cheaper option,the problem with these is they can be prone to interference from your wireless network as they both operate on the 2.4Ghz band, if you have wifi running on 5Ghz band then disable the 2.4Ghz for best possible reception. Though they can work with both on 2.4 it may take some fiddling about to get it right.

Wireless video senders are also very low quality. They only send basic composite video and stereo audio and using a microwave oven will wipe out the signal - I know as I use one to my kitchen TV. Even walking around close to the receiver or transmitter will cause interference on the TV, so they are far from ideal.
So if you do go this route you really will be getting what you pay for - a cheap & chearful option.

If you can run a network cable between the main TV and where you get good reception from the internal aerial then you could look at the video over CAT5 solutions. More expensive but can be a much more robust solution. However the Freeview receiver will need to be by the aerial and remote sender back to it to change the channel from the TV area as you can't AFAIK transmit the direct feed from an aerial.

Mark.

Keene Electronics have a few HDMI wireless extenders.
True but at ~£250 it could be cheaper to install a TV aerial.
There are cheaper wireless HDMI kits but they tend to be for same room use as they require line of sight.

ericgorr
if you have the cables from a sat dish by the TV you could look at getting a freesat box rather than Freeview as it has mostly the same channels.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom