Streaming limitations

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by MartinH32, Mar 13, 2013.

1. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +787
    I'm streaming from a NAS drive using cat5e on a gigabit network to my Oppo 93 and when the bit rate gets above around 24mbits the whole things struggles. I thought gigabit networks have a larger capacity than that?

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Gigabit is not really necessary for streaming BD's and the Oppo 93 ethernet port is limited to 100Mbps so it cant use Gigabit anyway.

My wild guess is either it might be one of the below or a combination of all three perhaps.
    1) NAS is too slow, you need a decent enough one to stream raw BD, if others devices can handle playback then that rules this one out.
    2) Some sort of conflict at the switch/hub level either with the NAS and/or the Oppo.
    3) Your using Samba to access the NAS from the Oppo, this can have performance issues depending on circumstances.

Things to try
    1) If your switch/router/NAS allows it drop the speed on the NAS to 100Mbps and see what happens.
    2) Try using MakeMKV on the affected Blu-ray and stream through UPnP/DLNA to the Oppo.
    3) Disable jumbo frames on the NAS if enabled.
    4) Do Oppo support NFS, if so and your NAS does too go with that instead of SMB/Samba.