Question Streaming/internet radio while displaying hdmi input

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by swanytroon, Jul 12, 2015.

1. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    had a search but cant find the answer, currently looking at buying one of last years reduced amps such as marantz 1504, denon 2100, sony 1050 etc

does any of these allow me to display video from a hdmi source (xbox one for example) while listing to internet radio/streaming or will the amp switch the display output to its own GI?

ideally i want to be able to play xbox and just pass the sound through the amp so the xbox sound comes out the tv speakers and the streaming/internet radio comes the av amp speakers

currently achieving this by having a digital out from my squeezebox to the same input as my xbox and switching audio inputs but its not ideal and looking to lose the squeezebox

2. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    Cheapest way to do this is by using an HDMI splitter. Send your Xbox signal to both the TV and amp and select sources as appropriate. You could simultaneously display your Xbox on your TV (plus TV speakers On or Off) and Internet radio on the amp through the main AV speakers. When you want to run the Xbox through the amp conventionally you can. Just a question of selecting the correct sources and inputs.

Some Yamaha, Anthem and Denon amps allow you to mix audio and video. Yamaha call it background video but I can't remember the Denon name for it. I don't know whether that feature is on the X2100, it certainly is higher up the Denon range.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    I don't think any of the receivers you are looking at have the capabilities to do what you want? Yamaha receivers do allow you to listen to one source while passing through the video associated with another, but I'm unsure as to whether or not they can do this with audio accessed via their networking capabilities?

4. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for the suggestion that is a good idea might have to go that way but i will see if i can find a amp in my price range that does what im looking for cause ideally would like to be able to do it with all my sources

would be helpful if anyone could try doing what im asking on there amp

5. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    I don't think Denon receivers have this capabilitty at all so this would restrict you to the Yamaha receivers if trying to buy one on a limited budget. The equavalent to the receivers you were looking at would be the RXV677 (last years model) or the RXV679 which is this year's replacement for the RXV677.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    As far as I can ascertain, the Background Video feature of Yamaha receivers does allow for network audio to be played while viewing a different video source. There's no mention of it not being possible within Yamaha's manuals.

8. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    Denon historically has been able to do it and it was called Video Select. It is a question of whether the feature goes down as far as the X2100 model. I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it is on my X7200 but I haven't tried yet.

Yes it works fine. I used to use internet radio and HDMI regularly on a previous Yamaha 2020. I think some of the lower models were Radio tuner alone and not network sources. That certainly used to be the case.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    The feature was expanded to other sources other than just radio on the 5xx and upward so the RXV677 and the 679 would allow for network sources to be used in conjunction with the Background Video feature.

10. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for help, going to go for the yamaha 677, makes my decision easier, to much choice at the £250 price range at this time of the years

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    Looking at the AVRX7200W's manual shows that the receiver does indeedhave the aforementioned Video Select features that will allow it to play one audio source while displaying another. The feature would work with network sourced audio. and internet radio. This receiver would probably be well over budget for you though?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    The Denon AVRX2100W also includes the Video Select feature and it too would meet your requirement. This would probably cost you less than the Yamaha and would also include 2 HDMI outputs.
    [​IMG]

13. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    thanks for that greatly appreciated, have already ordered the yamaha (£250 from richersounds, got them to price match superfi)

i have no need for 2 hdmi outputs and there both the same price and very similar specs so think i will just stick with the yamaha, especially considering alot of posts about the denon freezing etc

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    Here's a video showing the Yamaha Background Video feature in action:

YAMAHA RX-V671 changing audio to music while...

15. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    bit of a problem, the amp is outputting the internet radio sound to the tv instead of letting the sound from my source pass through, any ideas

16. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    What you suggest is happening isn't possible. The receiver cannot output an internet radio source via its HDMI output even if configured to passthrough audio via that output. Even if configured to passthrough the audio, you'd only be able to output audio associated with HDMI inputs to your TV.

You can't paasthrough the audio from your video source whilst simultaneously outputting the internet radio via the speakers connected to the receiver. THe HDMI audio passthrough should be left set to AMP and shouldn't be set to TV. The feature only alllows you to passthrough the video from a video source while listening to another audio source. It does not allow you to passthrough both the video and the audio to your TV from one source while outputting another source via the speakers connected to the TV.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  17. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi. thanks for the help again. i know your saying its not possible but when i turn hdmi audio output on the internet radio sound is coming through the tv speakers, trust me it sounds terrible.

i thought the amp would just let the hdmi signal pass through the amp untouched carrrying video and sound when i was using the video select

if someone could try it with a denon amp and turn the hdmi sound output on while using the video select feature and report back if the source sound or the internet radio sound gets passed through to the tv i would be really greatful as i think i only have a week to return the amp

18. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    The amp transmitting the internet radio through the tv speakers, doesn't sound right to me.

19. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    The only thing you'll get via your TV speakers if passing through the source is the audio associated with the video and only if the source itself is an external HDMI device connected to the receiver via HDMI. The receiver has two options in relation to the audio as set out in the HDMI settings. You can either passthrough the audio using the "TV" option or have the receiver handle the audio via the "AMP" option. There's no option to both have the receiver handle audio while passing audio through the receiver to a TV. If you select the TV option then no audio can then be processed by the receiver and output via the speakers connected to it. This will be the same situation with a Denon AV receiver.

You can passthrough the video from one source while playing an other audio source, but you cannot passthrough both audio and video from a source and still have the receiver play the audio associated with another source.

20. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i am able to turn the sound output on for both the receiver and the tv which allows the sound to be outputted through my speakers and through the tv at the same time

21. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    Even so, you still can't passthrough one source while letting the receiver send another sources audio out via its speakers. You can only have one audio source at any one time.

22. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    gave this a go and worked fine but when i went back to play my xbox throught the av amp it now wont me select 5.1 on the xbox due to the hdmi splitter being plugged in

23. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    HDMI comunicates with the audio signals destination and the return signal tells the source the audio capabilities of that device. This then determines what the source can output so if your TV cannot handle certain formats or types of audio then the source cannot therefore output those types of audio via HDMI. HDMI takes the least capable device it detects as guidance for the source's output.

24. swanytroon

swanytroon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    back to square one then, how do i play xbox and listen to streamed flac or internet radio from my av amp at the same time

25. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    As stated already, you'd have to have the XBox connected directly to the TV while using the receiver to play internet audio content. Buy or use a splitter than includes output selection so you can disengage one of the HDMI outputs when not in use.

These are commonly referred to as Matrix boxes and here's one such box:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/SELECTOR-SPLITTER-HD-Connect-PROJECTOR/dp/B00ATCCZHA

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  26. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,259
    Cheap and dirty alternative way is to unplug the TV cable at either end.