Streaming internet media to tv

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Matt57, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Matt57

Matt57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    just bought a dune 101 after getting some advice on these forums and would have had a network HDD if pcworld had given my dad the right pre-order item! Anyway, that will be sorted soon.

My question is related to streaming things like you tube, nhl gamecenter and iplayer for example. I want my pc to be running them and then stream them to dune media player to watch on my non-smart tv.

How do i do this? Or does the dune let me do this with its browser but then presumably needs a keyboard?

thanks

(i knew i should have just stuck to the 15m hdmi cable i use, i`m not techie enough for this kind of thing!)

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've no idea if the Dune has iplayer, youtube etc..... but if you want to stream them via your PC use Serviio media server its free and you just setup the RSS feeds you want. It doesn't give you free complete access like a search facility as its RSS driven but its still very good.

3. Matt57

Matt57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m a real noob (going to have learn fast it seems) so would that allow me to watch nhl gamecenter from my pc to media player?

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If NHL gamecentre has RSS feeds then yes, or if it has some other type of feed its could still be possible setup as a web resource but this is all on Serviio beta. Stating the obvious, your in a location where NHL gamecentre works for you on the web anyway ? As a DLNA server won't fix any lock out issues because your based in the wrong geographic location e.g it won't make Hulu work for you if your in BoraBora!

5. Matt57

Matt57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, due to espn`s failure to secure any rights this year its actually worked out well for me that i get all games and no blackouts! its just i want to know if i can stream it rather than constantly keep connecting a hdmi cable i have running bw the lounge and my den which is how i watch it now.

6. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  7. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  8. Matt57

Matt57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you so much nx3 for putting the work in to find out that.

I`ve come up to a bit of a problem though. My technical knowledge is literally woefully inadequate for this task. I have downloaded serviio and it appears to be running. I have no idea how to then use that through the dune 101.I have downloaded the plugin but i dont know what to do with it. It mentions external resources... something something groovy.... i am horribly over my depth here!
    Is there somewhere i can learn more about this, on that subject somewhere i can find out more about to get the most out of my dune 101? There is very little info out there for the novice and i need a nudge as to where i should be looking if possible. I just dont want to have to keep asking for babysitting through every step.

Thanks,

matt57

9. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Serviio forums are very helpful as is the readme file that comes with serviio ;-) So quick steps to help you along

1, Install Serviio
    2, It sounds like you've downloaded the NHL groovy plugin. That needs to go in the "serviio\plugins" folder. Depending on which operation system you have where that is exactly. Assuming you have windows then it will be "c:\program files\serviio\plugins". Assuming you've done that then easiest way of restart the service and console so that it will work is to reboot.
    3, Open the nhl plugin in notepad and change your username and password to that of your NHL login
    4, In the serviio console on your desktop go to the library tab, then select 'online tab' on that page
    5, Click 'ADD' and, select 'Web resource' from the drop down, put this in the URL 'http://www.nhl.com/ice/gamecenterlive.htm", display name can be anything you like.
    6, Click save and then right click on the new entry select refresh

I've not used a Dune so can't be specific. However somewhere you'll find a menu to list media servers, in that list you'll find serviio (yellow icon like your desktop serviio icon). Select that, select video, select 'online' and you should see NHL.

If you get problems with the NHL via serviio post via the link above where the author of the plugin can reply directly.

10. Matt57

Matt57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    late reply but huge thanks nx3.

i had issues with serviio being seen by dune but turns out is was eset firewall.

i`m having issued with the external dependency part of the plugin but i`ve now posted on serviio forums.

thanks again. much appreciated

matt

11. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ESET firewall, I've posted on Serviio forums how you confirgure for ESET. Anyway, Serviio forums are best place now :)