Streaming High-Def From Media Centre (TS Files)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by hamd01, Mar 7, 2006.

1. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Is anyone here able to stream TS files (1080i) from a media centre PC to the Xbox 360? I have previously tried WMV files, AVI, and mpg, without any glitches at all, but when I play a TS file, I get network problems every 20 seconds or so, which causes a judder.

If the average TS has a bit rate around 2.3, I cant understand why an 802g router, (54Mbps) would be having a problem streaming it. As a test I have the router sitting around 10 feet away from the PC, with direct line-of-sight..... but still the bottle neck is there.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience of doing this?

2. gavinhunt`

gavinhunt`

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There alot of XBOX streaming questions and answers in the XBOX360 thread as well as some kind of conversion software for the MCE that allow other formats of file to be steamed etc.

3. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    this is more of a HDTV questions than XBOX, and Im not having an issue with file formats. TS works fine on the 360 without any encoding......its the bandwidth which is the issue.

4. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Are you sure of this? I thought most TS streams were in the 16-19Mbps range, and that can be a real struggle for 802.11g to cope with. Are you using wireless connection for both the PC and XBox?

5. JinBoy

JinBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yeah, I tried the wireless method at first with TS files but I had exactly the same problem. Then went the wired route, easy enough for me as i could plug my laptop into my router which is right next to the 360. Got myself a huge external hard drive - plugged into laptop with all my TS stuff on and now it all plays flawlessly. Return of the King (1080i) looks the dogs danglies. oh yeah!!!:thumbsup:

6. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    The 360 is hard wired, the PC wireless.

7. paulwilko

paulwilko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My guess is if you have any point in the loop which is wireless, this will kill it.
    I could not play any HD material wirelessly with my Snazzi. It is all hard wired.

8. Hindy

Hindy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are having problems streaming over wireless, and don't want the hassle & expense of having your home cabled up, take a look at these:
    http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsethernet.html

This uses the power circuit already in your home as a network. I replaced my wireless LAN with some of these and am very pleased with the results. You can purchase from DSL Warehouse in the UK. I haven't yet tried streaming over it, but it should be a lot better than wireless.

9. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Given the quality of some of the cabling in my house, I think I'll stick to running some cat5 cables. Thanks anyway.

10. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I'm using the ethernet over mains 85Mbps units myself.. unfortunately, they can't quite stream a 20mbps stream, it glitches every few seconds.. it's also the same with 54G wireless..

I measured the throughput using FTP, as I run an FTP Server on the main wired network, where the Media files are kept, and via 54G it would fluctuate around the 3MBytes/sec mark, but drops every now and again, which would mess up a 1080i/p stream..
    The Ethernet over mains, really only just sustains 2MBytes/sec.. and that's with full signal strength shown between plugs..

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I will just have to find a way to get CAT5e cables between different sides of the house and go fully Gigabit..

I may consider the new Mimo wireless access points/cards but it's bloody expensive..

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    Exactly the same position here, not sure whether to go for the devolo 85mbps plugs (which in theory should work fine but like wireless theory very quickly goes out the window!). Alternatively the netgear MIMO 3 looks promising but as you hinted at, by the time you've got the router and a 240mbps adaptor you're looking at £160! I really need to get this working cos I know how well the 360 can play ts files and it's a shame I can't take advantage of it!

12. Hindy

Hindy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you plugged your devolo directly into the wall? Surge protectors cause big problems for these devices, and even 4-way adaptors can reduce the speed. Might be worth trying them directly into the wall outlet and see what kind of speed you get.

13. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm streaming HD over wireless ok - the WAP is about 10ft from the 360, through a floor, took a bit of tweaking, but I can now play almost anything ts without stuttering - this only thing that gets it on its knees is the demo's from Manufacturers with ultra high bit rate's.

The key to a decent throughput was to enable Turbo/Nitro mode on my WAP, as the 360 adaptor seems to support this....

14. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Does the 360 even have a Gigabit ethernet adaptor to take advantage of those speeds?

15. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It does :thumbsup:

16. El Geet

El Geet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using a 'g' or 'a' spec router? I know MS recommend 'a' for HD content but I'm restricted to 'g'. If you're using 'g' I'd be keen to know how you've tweaked it to make it possible.

17. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It's a "g" spec - I did buy a cheap "a" one, but couldn't get it to work at all, so went back to the "g" and started tweaking....

Main things that made a difference for me - first of all move the wireless adaptor off the back of the 360 - it seems the 360 itself generates some interference! Mine is on the end of a USB extension cable, well away from the 360 and as close as I can get it towards where the WAP is without it being visible (it's hidden behind my plasma).

I then moved the WAP to sit on the floor of my office (the room directly above the lounge) to minimise the distance - admittedly only about another 3ft closer, but every bit helps.

I then looked at the channel I was using - my neighbour is using channel 6 - so I picked 13, a) because it's as far away as you can get from 6 and b) because 13 is a channel reserved for wi-fi use within the UK, minimising interference from DECT phones etc.

Finally I enabled Turbo/Nitro mode on my 3Com WAP - this seemed to make a reasonable difference. My WAP is just a normal 802.11g spec one, not any of the super-g etc etc ones.

Judging by what I get on the network performance graph thingie, I think I get a throughput of about 20Mbps, I get the occasional dropout, which I can't seem to eliminate, but this doesn't seem to interrupt the video stream - as I said before, I can stream nearly all the .ts files I've tried, except the ultra high bitrate manufacturer demos.... So, I'm happy with it :clap:

18. zag2me

zag2me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    C'mon people dont believe the marketing hype those wireless devices claim to be 54mbit speed but in theory is far less. Wireless was never designed to carry video signals, you will have to wait for the next protocol, I believe it will be called 802.11i or something. That will contain Quality Of Service designed ffor streaming video but is still a long way off.

19. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We don't need 54Mbit though.... 20-25Mbit is enough for HD and that is certainly possible with existing technology under the right conditions....

20. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I really cant understand how people have this working. My router is sitting literally 5 feet away from the PC, with clear line of sight...and it still doesnt work.

21. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try a different wireless adaptor in the PC I'd say - mixing brands is always a bit iffy, even ones of the same brand are not always compatible! :suicide:

22. Retronana

Retronana
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Have you run the MCE Video networking tool [the line graph thing] ?

What results did that offer ?

FWIW, I'm streaming to a 360 via Linksys A+G router and it works pretty good, the MCE PC is on another floor and 1 room away from the 360.

23. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do you have the WAP55AG? What sort of results do you get on the graph thingie in A mode?

24. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I already have the same brand kit

25. Retronana

Retronana
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Peaks just below the HD line and way over the SD line.

The only thing that seems to limit what can be played back is the quality of the encoding and the abilty of the MCE PC [In my case a laptop]

It took a couple of calls to Linksys TS to get the thing working correctly but its been online for 3 weeks and not needed a reset....yet ;)

26. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What were the problems with it and how did you solve them? I have a D-Link A+G WAP sat gathering dust as I cannot get it working with the 360....

I will post a grab of my network perf graph later if I remember.....

27. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As promised - here's my network perf charts :-

As you can see, I get dropouts every 30 secs or so, but it doesn't seem to affect the streaming :D

Attached Files: