Streaming help please

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by montys1, May 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. montys1

montys1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi need some advice please - Here is my set up.
    Lounge - Apple Extreme router - Yamaha A2020 AVR - Squeezebox Touch - VortexBox Appliance all connected by Ethernet + Macbook Pro wireless/wired

Bedroom

Powered speakers - Apple Airport Express (latest) in Bridge mode connected by Ethernet to downstairs router

Have about 3TB of music in FLAC on the Vortexbox. I have just got the Macbook and Apple stuff this week so all new to me. Not a fan of iTunes.
    Downstairs is not a problem all is good, how can I get music upstairs with what Ive got? Rather use the Squeezebox/Vortexbox ideally.
    The Yammy AVR has Airplay.
    I know itunes doesn't dig FLAC, but Im sure there are workarounds if I had to use it, even batch convert to Apple Lossless I guess, or maybe Vox which does dig FLAC may be an option but I want to ideally use the Ethernet from upstairs to down. Don't know if Vox does what I want anyway will have to gen up.

Any thoughts folks?

2. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    You haven't actually said what network streaming method the wireless speakers support. I'm assuming AirPlay since you mentioned iTunes. Does it also support UPnP/DLNA?
    What make/model is it?

3. montys1

montys1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi they aren't wireless speakers it's a Logitech X-230 2.1. More for a PC really but fine in a bedroom. I had them working with a Qed Uplay ethernet streamer when it worked it was great but it was a bit flaky.

4. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Ok, I wrongly assumed a wireless access point, when you mentioned using the wired ethernet connected Airport Express in bridge mode with the speakers. So what you're actually doing is using the Airport Express's AirPlay client and connecting the speakers to its audio output. In which case you are limited to just AirPlay network streaming, if you are going to stick to using the Airport Express as the network streamer connected to the speakers.

AirPlay streaming normally locks you into the Apple ecosystem, so using iTunes and/or Apple devices as the sound source. However, there is a plugin for the Logitech Media Server that allows you to use AirPlay devices as if they were Squeezeboxes, the Airplay Bridge (squeeze2raop):
    ANNOUNCE: AirPlay Bridge = integrate AirPlay devices with LMS (squeeze2raop)

Hopefully, you'll be able to install the AirPlay Bridge plugin for the LMS running on the Vortexbox, so get the Airport Express's AirPlay client to be used as if it were another Squeezebox on your network and therefore get it to play the FLAC files from the Vortexbox using a Squeezebox controller.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  5. montys1

montys1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi that sounds good I'll give it a go. I haven't ruled out using the Airport Express in other modes so I'll try this first. Appreciate the help thanks mate.