Streaming HDTV through 360, what method?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by cs3007, Mar 12, 2006.

1. cs3007

cs3007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just wondered how people are streaming High Def content (.ts files) through their network. I have tried my DG834G wireless router, which was totally useless and also the 85mpbs homeplugs, which although a little better, still do not work without Network Congestion.

2. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

I nearly bought the 85mbs homeplugs myself but i ended up buying a 30m RJ45 cable instead and it works perfect :thumbsup:

3. cs3007

cs3007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yeah, I am pretty certain thats what I'll have to do as well, although will be a lot of hassle as my 360, Router and PC are all in different rooms and floors.

Anyone else managed to get to work using Wireless as I still don't really want to go wired?

Found this, which looks like they did ok, but not sure how it would work out with the distances between each device?

http://www.hdbeat.com/2005/12/21/hdtv-over-wifi-80211a/

4. Bleem

Bleem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    HD over wireless is a NON-STARTER... don't even waste your time, unless you have an "A" router you've got no chance..

believe me, i wasted hours trying all the different methods.

My advice ? buy a wired kit and get your hands dirty - works a treat and well worth the effort ! £19.99 from Maplin gets you 50m cat5e, 8 junction boxes and 16RJ45 sockets... comes with a tester and all the tools you'll need.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    It's ok saying that but I can't run a cable from an upstairs bedroom at one side of the house downstairs into the lounge, well I could but my wife would not be happy at all! Isn't the new netgear MIMO 3 router supposed to be as good as wired so surely that's a possibility if wired really isn't an option?

6. Bleem

Bleem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Have your thought about IP over PS ? You can buy power supplies with NIC interfaces built in which just run your network through your power infrastructure ?

I had the same issue going wired - I just whipped off my skirting boards, drilled a couple of walls and hid my cables - you seriously wouldnt know they were there is it wasnt for the wall mounted sockets.

7. Retronana

Retronana
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I'm using a dual band a+g router and I'm able to stream 720p/1080i clips from a MCE laptop to a 360 via Wi-Fi.

As has already been said, its a no go on just a wireless g network, although I wonder if a "Pre n" mimo network might do the job ?