Streaming HD content wirelessly

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Scottx2, Jan 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this particular difficult with AppleTV? I'm looking to pick one up to install XBMC on but if I was to rip a blu-ray in 720p onto my Mac, would it stream fine to AppleTV or would I find that its rather choppy or slow depending on how well my internet is set up.

2. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    It's not the resolution but the bitrate that matters tbh. It's how much data per second your trying to transfer, along with the quality of you WiFi connection between rooms.

3. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a way I can test out what my connection can handle? I'd like to test it before I take the plunge and purchase an AppleTV, although I'll probably buy one anyway.

4. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    2 things here.

1. What kit do you have to test this our? Do you have a desktop and a laptop by any chance, with the desktop where your streaming from and the Laptop able to be set up where the ATV will be positioned? Yes, the kit will have differing signal levels, but it will give you an idea as to how good the signal is if your able to copy files between and see the speed achieved.

2. Are you not able to hard wire an Ethernet cable between both areas? Ethernet pretty much always trumps WiFi and always the best option wherever possible. I have a pretty solid WiFi connection at home, but still have the kit ready for wiring Gigabit Ethernet once I finally get around to it!

5. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be streaming it from a Mac mini in one room, to the AppleTV on the other side of the room, however this room is upstairs and the router is a floor down. I have a laptop which I can test it with no problem, running Windows 7.

As they're in the same room, ethernet wouldn't be too much of a problem. I could just run a long ethernet cable round the skirt to the other side. Would I then still be able to use the internet on the AppleTV say for renting from the Apple store?

6. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Not quite as straight forward as they as the Router is the centre of the communication. Ideally you want to wire both units to the Router which is often easier said than done.

Now we know your setup though, I doubt you will have any problems with what your hoping to achieve. Even with the dual lines of connection between floors it shouldn't be a problem with the WiFi signal being powerful enough. Is it n standard your using or g. If n, I think you will be fine.

On a different note, if you buy direct from an Apple store, you have the 14 day no quibble returns to fall back on if not suitable. ;-)

7. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yes, my appletv is connected via Ethernet... Gigabit Ethernet and Play large hd content no problem... And yes it connects to Internet for renting or purchasing as well as streaming purchased content via iCloud when your computer is off which is a really cool feature I've been using lately...

8. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's wireless G, ive been considering a wireless N router recently though so may be a purchase I should consider. But I'm glad to hear you believe it should be fine. I was looking to pick a 1st gen AppleTV up though for the hard drive which can't be purchased from Apple.

9. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the same type of connection I spoke about? Ethernet connecting the device I want to stream from but connecting wireless to my router for use of the net?

10. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I might have been confused...

If your appletv is connected via Ethernet to your computer with content on it then yes, hd content playing should be fine... Ok, just to clarify, your network would have to be setup in a way that computer and appletv are connected to each other but both connect to Internet via wifi router downstairs? Is the computer itself connected to router downstairs via Ethernet or wifi?

If you are streaming purchases from Internet via wifi G speeds... Well I think it will work but you might see some longer buffering times... N is faster... As someone else suggested, try streaming content with your laptop...

How fast is your broadband speed by the way?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  11. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first part is correct. Is that possible? Mac is currently connected via WiFi.

I have a 30mb cable connection which streams HD content no problem on my Mac connected via WiFi.

12. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Super, so if your mac can do it the appletv can too! Youve just answered your own question...

Also, you could still plug the appletv into the mac via Ethernet to have faster access to files on mac... And it would then use the mac wifi connection to get content off Internet...

13. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My worry was the quality, or bitrate, of streaming a 720p rip would be higher than that of streaming HD content from the internet. Especially when you consider its not just to the router, its from the Mac, to the router, to the AppleTV.

But if I can connect directly to the Mac via ethernet if I have any problems with WiFi and it'll still work, it's nice to know I've got that option.

14. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Spot on! You have the data doubling the route to get from Mac to ATV when the Router is downstairs. Personally, I think that with a G signal it's going to need to buffer for a while before playback starts, even being from the room below.

You can do as stated above and connect direct via Ethernet to stream the media, and should be able to bridge the WiFi Internet connection to feed the ATV with online data. This will all obviously require the Mac to be on during all playback mind you.

15. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll give it a test via wifi, see how it goes first of all. If I experience problems or large buffering times I'll then try via ethernet, if I can bridge between Mac and AppleTV and use the internet on there which I know is a good connection then I shouldn't have too many problems... right? Haha.

Does both gens of AppleTV support wireless N? It may be worth me investing in a Wireless N router.

16. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Both support n WiFi no worries, although the Apple Spec pages say its possible to use g if you want:

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp19

Personally n is the way to go and I heartily recommend the Airport Extreme Router. It doesn't have an ADSL Modem in it so you need to connect into your current setup, but is very solid indeed. Check out the Apple Refurb section of the store for potential discounts. I would grab the latest model though for best signal.

17. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look, they seem a little pricey!

I could always connect a wireless N access point to my existing router via ethernet? Or is wireless N backwards compatible? i.e. I could upgrade my existing router if possible and connect none WiFi N devices to it.

18. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact, I've just realised, someone may correct me, that the router I've got from Virgin Media is wireless N, if it is backwards compatible, I could just ensure that my router is setup for wireless N and straight away, a better connection?

19. instigator

instigator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yes, I think if you have 30mb broadband or higher you get the super box with N as the G one would be a bottleneck or something... Mine has gigabit Ethernet and N wifi... I've got Ethernet between lounge and music room and gigabit switch in music room for mac, nas and various stuff in music room... Lounge has appletv, Sony tv and windows pc connected via gigabit Ethernet... Wifi is on just for iPad and iPhone...

Hit speedtest.net to test your download speed...

20. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would that be enough do you think to handle it?

I'm not concerned about my internet speed, I'm quite confident my internet speeds are high enough to handle it My concern was the connection between my Mac Mini and AppleTV to stream between the 2 wirelessly.

I'll need to check my wireless setup at home, if I set it up for wireless N, will wireless G devices still be able to connect?

21. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    If you have n standard, most Routers have it enabled as standard including b and g also. You can often disable whichever you don't want. The Extreme allows a range of radio modes.

I think you will be ok if you have the latest Virgin Router.

22. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, if thatas the case I would imagine my Mac Mini is already connected via the N network, same with my phone. Is it possible to change which network it is using to ensure? I guess the best way would be to simply test it.

Hoping to get a hold of a AppleTV in the next few days.

23. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Give it a full test in situ. Try streaming from iTunes on your Mini to your iPhone using a good quality 720p file to really test it. Use your phone exactly where ATV is going to sit and you should have an idea on delay whilst it buffers along with how well it plays.

Sounds like another avid ATV owner soon to join us!

24. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a iPhone believe it or not! :lol: I had a iPhone3GS but instead of going for a iPhone4 switched to Android and got a Galaxy S2. I might ask a mate to pop round so I can test it on his and give it a go. Any other ways I could give it a test?

I'm quite looking forward to getting it, hoping to pick one up from a valued member of these boards! I'm going 1st gen due to hard drive, fancy upgrading the HDD and putting XBMC on it too.

I may as well ask here, rather than starting another thread. How easy is it to store files on the AppleTV hard drive? Or am I better off going for a ATV2?

25. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Wasn't assuming, just read phone in your last post as iPhone sorry. My mistake.

I had the 1st Gen for years and sold last year as wasn't using it ironically. Gutted I did now, but got same price for it as the 2nd Gen. I like the new one better IMHO as it just streams what I want and don't need to update the content. Since I already have it on one drive, I don't see the point on having on another. Would rather stream and use less power. The new one is faster and a lot smaller too.

Old one is good mind you, but at the same price would rather the ATV2.

26. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is true, its not as if my Mac mini is ever off either... Are there any limitations in terms of XBMC or anything I should be aware of with Atv2?

27. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    Same for me as it uses do little power! ;-)

Can't comment on XBMC as I am a Plex kinda guy.

28. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats Plex?

An alternative to XBMC?

29. bpsmith

bpsmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +709
    It was initially built on XBMC but has now surpassed it for Server and for Client playback. Nicer GUI and much better scraping of media info. Check it out:

http://plexapp.com

30. Scottx2

Scottx2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers lads, ive just purchased a AppleTV gen 2. Ill check out Plex and XBMC out when it arrives.

Quite excited!