Streaming from Iphone 5

telb

Hi I have done some searches but cannot find an answer. Would anyone know if I should be able to output audio from the lightning socket of my phone into the USB input of my amplifier? I have tried but it does not seem to work. Thank you.

Cebolla

Hi I have done some searches but cannot find an answer. Would anyone know if I should be able to output audio from the lightning socket of my phone into the USB input of my amplifier? I have tried but it does not seem to work. Thank you.
I am using a lightning cable to USB is that not the same?
Mmm - are you using this cable (or something that looks like it) to connect your iPhone to the 'USB input' of your 'amplifier'?
Lightning to USB Cable (0.5m)

telb

Yes that's the one that I am using. I understand that analogue sound comes out of the lightning socket and I assume a digital signal is available to feed into a USB input?

Cebolla

No, neither:
- an LPCM digital audio signal output can come out of the iPhone's lightning socket;
- that particular USB input socket on your amplifier is NOT for USB audio, so it would not be able to accept the iPhone's digital audio output anyway.

You can only use that USB (storage) input on your amplifier to read audio files (eg MP3, FLAC, etc) from a USB storage device (eg hard disk drive, memory stick, etc) and get the amplifier itself to decode and play them.

What is the make & model of your amplifier? It might have a proper USB audio input (aka USB DAC input) that you could use instead - though unlikely, if your 'amplifier' is actually an AVR.

Last edited:

telb

Sorry Cebolla I got that wrong. The input is a USB Type B into an Audiolab 8300A. The leads I am using are lightning to USB Type A plug. Then a connecting socket. And then a USB type A plug to a USB Type B plug into the amp. I normally use the laptop into the amp without any problems. Because I am not happy with the sound from the laptop, I wanted the try the phone to see if there was any difference.

Cebolla

Ok - in which case you are using the wrong cable out from the iPhone. Using the lightning to USB (type A plug) cable operates the iPhone's USB connection in USB slave/peripheral device mode, so it cannot be used by the iPhone's audio producing apps to send out their digital audio output. Effectively all you've done is connected two USB slave/peripheral devices together.

For the iPhone's digital audio to be output by USB you need to get the iPhone's USB connection to operate in USB master device mode by using a USB OTG (On-The-Go) cable, which is what you get with the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter cable. You can then connect the 8300A to that with your USB type A plug to a USB Type B plug cable.

telb

Thanks for the reply. That is very helpful and I can understand it better. I will buy the required cable. Thanks again.

bruny

iPhone 5 has 3.5mm headphone socket can you not use that socket to your amps inputs.

telb

Yes, I have used the 3.5mm output but I wasn't happy with the sound quality. I think using the DAC inside the 8300CD would give better sound quality

telb

Hi, I did purchase a camera adaptor cable but unfortunately it did not work. Spotify will cast to the Chromecast fine, but Amazon Music will not cast and so I wanted a cable connection from the phone. to the amp. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

Cebolla

Hi, I did purchase a camera adaptor cable but unfortunately it did not work.
That is unfortunate (& unexpected).

Assuming that it's the official Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter & that it's not faulty, the usual possible issue with it is that it can't be used with some power hungry (portable) USB DACs that take their power via the USB connection's 5V supply. However, that problem shouldn't apply to your situation, given that the 8300CD is mains powered.

Have you made certain that the 8300CD's USB DAC audio input is working with your other (USB) cable that you also need to use - eg connected to a computer outputting some audio to it?

Also, what version of iOS are you running on your iPhone 5? If you've never upgraded it, then that could be the issue as the original 2012 iPhone 5 came with iOS 6 and USB Audio input/output support was added later with iOS 7.

Last edited:

telb

Hi the adapter isn't a genuine one, although it gets good reviews from the Amazon site that I bought it from. The USB leads works well with music from my laptop. I have the latest firmware that I was able to download, (phone is no longer supported. I have tried my wife's Iphone 7+ with the same results.

xmb

Why not consider adding a AirPlay streamer to the Audiolab 8300A, such as the Yamaha WXAD-10 or Bluesound Node 2i? This allows wireless streaming from your iPhone and PC using the DAC in the streamer.

telb

Hi, I am thinking about the Yamaha or a Bluesound . For now I have a DAC in the cd player 8300CD, which I use with a Chromecast. The problem is Amazon HD will not cast to the Google Chromecast and so I thought that connecting the I phone with a lead would solve the problem. I am using a laptop connected with a USB lead to listen at the moment. Our internet speed isn't good in our village and so I like to not use Wifi where possible.

xmb

Streaming local content, such as via AirPlay or ChromeCast is not affected by your internet speed. Local streaming can be better achieved using a NAS (Network Attached Storage), rather than using the music stored on your phone. The music is available for any user to stream via any device, as most NAS have a built in DLNA server. Some NAS also support being a iTunes server, if you need to play the music on Apple devices.

Cebolla

Hi the adapter isn't a genuine one, although it gets good reviews from the Amazon site that I bought it from.
Ah - that's likely to be your problem. Did any of the Amazon reviews mention successfully using the unofficial adapter to get an iDevice to output its audio to a USB DAC?

Apple's Lightning bus technology is proprietary and its specification isn't publicly available, unlike USB (Universal Serial Bus). Lightning & USB are not the same hence the need for the adapter. Apple guarantee something working with their proprietary technologies as advertised (eg, the support of USB Audio that came with iOS 7 and later) only if you stick to using officially approved kit.

Last edited:

TB Rich

Non-genuine leads when it comes to Apple are a liability I'm afraid. I've got a genuine lead here (Apple USB3 camera connection lead), just tired it and connecting to an external DAC with USB input works just fine.