• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

streaming confusion

londonguy1973

Established Member
Im getting confused over all the different streamers that seem to be available so like others, ive decided to ask you guys for help.

Basically i want to stream the music from my laptop to my stereo but more importantly i want to stream music that is online to it as well. Mainly from mixcloud/spotify/lastfm. I need to be able to do this via wifi as the router isnt near the stereo and i dont really want to put cables around to reach it.

Some advice on what to pick would be appreciated as ive seen things ranging from £50 to £600

The rest of my system is pretty mid budget i guess. Nad amp, Monitor audio speakers, marantz cd player so i dont think spending a silly amount of money is needed but then i dont want something thats going to sound rubbish.

The other thing thats making me wonder is the quality of the online music that will be streamed. Sounds good through my headphones on the laptop but not sure if its worth spending a lot to get it to the stereo.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I am a fan of Sonos like others on here. You can start with a ZP90 that will stream music from your network and also from last.fm, and spotify, not sure about cloud stuff.
I have decent stuff and everything sounds excellent quality, radio and napster sound very good, spotify streams a higher quality if you are a premium member but you can't tell much difference TBH. You can get a ZP90 for around £250-£270 and just plug it in to your existing hi-fi. It can then be controlled from laptops/PC/iPhone/iPad.
It is very good stuff and expands up to 32 zones that can play all different stuff or zone them together for party play.

For your first sonos you will Ethernet nearby or else you have to Buy a sonos bridge, the rest is then all wireless.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
ZP90 or a Squeezebox Touch, the Touch will connect to your existing wi-fi and there's support for Spotify, last.fm, Napster, BBC Listen Again etc

Last edited:

londonguy1973

Established Member
I was looking at the squeezebox touch. How does it access things like spotify and last fm? Is it direct through the controller or do i still have ti running on my pc?

Is there much difference between the touch and the v3 wireless as ive seen a couple of them on ebay for a fair bit cheaper.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Touch has plugins/applets for Spotify (Premium Only) and last.fm so doesn't need a server running.

Touch and V3 are different generations of kit, V3 is 100% dependent on Squeezebox Server.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom