Streaming and 7.1 audio - do I need a new receiver?

Richard Harnwell

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm finally ready to replace my old faithful Sony VPL-HW10 1080P projector with a (Faux) 4K one. As the room in question is used for about 60% gaming (mostly PS5 & Series X), 4K 120Hz and low latency is important, so I've settled on the Epson LS-12000B. I really like my old 1080P Onkyo THX Ultra TX-SR876 receiver (powering 7.1 speakers), and I'd devised what I thought was a cunning plan to avoid replacing it... A few people I see are using HDFury AV switches to allow the projector to work with DolbyVision signals. As they are also able to extract the audio signal from a 4K HDMI signal and send that audio alongside a blank HD video signal to a receiver, this seemed perfect for me.

I'm now thinking though, that I'm still going to be missing out. When I got the receiver I was using mostly with Blu Rays, so was able to get the benefit of 7.1 when included. Most of my film viewing is now 4K streaming. Am I right in thinking that the only way to get 7.1 from streaming content is via Dolby Atmos? I assume the HDfury boxes aren't able to extract the 7.1 channels from Atmos into something like Dolby TrueHD?

I obviously don't currently have ceiling speakers (as amp doesn't support them). I may add them in the future, but to be honest the cabling is already a bit of a nightmare for 7.1 channels!

Thanks for any thoughts.

[EDIT] - I guess maybe my Series X could decode Atmos and send the raw 7.1 channels to my receiver?

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that the only way to get 7.1 from streaming content is via Dolby Atmos?
No. Streaming services use Dolby Digital Plus which is a 5.1 format. DD+ has the ability to have any Atmos data attached to it for decoding in a suitable AV amp. All that DD+ requires is a HDMI connection between streamer, or smart TV via ARC, for it to work. If you don't have an Atmos set up then a simple optical connection between TV and amp will suffice for 5.1.

No. Streaming services use Dolby Digital Plus which is a 5.1 format. DD+ has the ability to have any Atmos data attached to it for decoding in a suitable AV amp. All that DD+ requires is a HDMI connection between streamer, or smart TV via ARC, for it to work. If you don't have an Atmos set up then a simple optical connection between TV and amp will suffice for 5.1.

I'm afraid I'm getting more confused now! I'm specifically after a way to get 7.1 from streaming (with my receiver that isn't Atmos capable if possible). As you're saying that:
  1. streaming services use DD+
  2. DD+ is a 5.1 format
... doesn't it follow that you're saying streaming services cannot offer 7.1 full stop? Surely they're providing that with Atmos (plus height channels)?

Sorry for being dense here!

Atmos is not portrayed in 7.1, that format involves 5.1.2. The Atmos content is metadata attached to the 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus format. No streaming service offers 7.1. It's either 5.1 or 5.1.2 if the programme is streamed with the Atmos data.

You would need an AV amp that can decode Atmos, most of the amps now on sale and those for a few years ago support Atmos. Your Onkyo pre-dates Atmos and is only capable of 7.1. You can use the upmixing mode of ProLogic to bring in the rear surrounds to get a pseudo 7.1. Your amp, should it receive an Atmos soundtrack would simply disregard the Atmos data because it cannot decode it and put out a 5.1 audio.

Thanks again. Looks like I need to do more reading on Atmos! I'm starting to think it would be good to have the height channel that Atmos can provide, so maybe I need to start factoring in a new amp in my upgrade plans. Seems like multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs are a bit slow to appear on mid range receivers at the moment (Denon at least) though!

You'll need to have a 5.1.2 speaker configuration as a workable minimum. That would be two front, centre and two surround speakers in the usual floor layout. The two Atmos speakers can be mounted in the ceiling, high on the front wall in line with the front left and right, or used as upfiring speakers on top of the front left and right. One type of speaker will serve for both wall mounted and upfiring because of their design.

The new generation of amps for next year, if they do indeed materialise, will no doubt have more 2.1 inputs, the current Denon X1700 has three.

Well I guess I can continue using my standard 7.1 layout and add height ones to it, but I see the dipoles I currently use for my surround & rears aren’t recommended for Atmos, so looks like they might need to be replaced. Not sure I can stomach/afford everything at once, so think I might go for projector & HDfury first. Feels like it might make sense to wait for the next models of receivers (with more 2.1 inputs) anyway…

Well I guess I can continue using my standard 7.1 layout and add height ones to it, but I see the dipoles I currently use for my surround & rears aren’t recommended for Atmos, so looks like they might need to be replaced.
Not necessarily. I use dipole/bipole switchable speakers as surrounds (in a 5.2.4 configuration). With careful placement, they are certainly workable imo. See pic of my layout:

20211104_185001.jpg

the dipoles I currently use for my surround & rears aren’t recommended for Atmos,
If are able to have the perfect set up in a perfect room then monopoles are recommended. However the vast majority of us have to set out the speakers according to our own rooms and some compromises have to be used. Dipoles are often the best form of surrounds when space behind the sofa is restricted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom