Streaming Amazon unlimited Music to main Hi-fi from an Echo Dot

camcroft

Hi. I have the above as I have Amazon Prime by paying an extra £3.99 a month it opens up the music catalogue on one echo device ( Dot ) I have been using it to stream music to my main unit the sound is good though it sounds slightly thin in comparison to listening to the same tracks on CD and the likes. My question is without spending a fortune has anyone any suggestions of any way to improve the sound quality as it could be to do with the Echo not having apt x and the Bluetooth dongle on my amplifier does. Would I be better using a stand alone unit that has Amazon built in instead of streaming through the Echo and if so has anyone got any recommendations and how would I connect it to my amplifier to receive the best signal. Thanks.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Have you tried using a cable to connect the echo to your stereo?

camcroft

Hi. I don't know if that would make a difference, Do you think that it would I know its not being sent using Bluetooth by being wired don't you agree it could be the apt x thing or would direct wiring solve that. Thanks for replying

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Sure APT-X is a big improvement compared to older/other Bluetooth protocols. The echo doesn't to my knowledge support APT-X in any form, this means the echo will use the far inferior SBC protocol. Nothing you can do about that.

I'd avoid BT anyway if a cabled connection is possible, I'd be surprised if it doesn't sound better TBH

The echo Dot has a 3.5mm analogue audio output on the rear, you may need a 3.5mm to 2RCA cable to connect to your amp but my gut feeling is it would be better than BT.

camcroft

Thanks jamie, I have wired it as you said and am listening to Dire Straits Telegraph Road as I type and not trying to use too much of the dots volume and using the amps volume instead do you think thats the right thing to do.Thanks

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've not used an echo like that (I use Google homes and chromecasts for music myself) but usually I'd say it's the other way round with the echo set to high or max volume, how far are you having to turn up the amp compared to other sources connected to the amp?

maybe try slowly increasing the volume while turning the amp down and see if you can tell a difference.

camcroft

I am at five to at the moment with the echo volume not on full but I am going to try it the way you said, With full volume on the echo and around ten to on the amp and it doesn't sound bad at all I will of course listen to a few other different tracks that I am familiar with. Thank you for your help much appreciated and with the money that I have saved with your help I have just ordered a £1000 gold plated 3.5 mm to 2 RCA cable :):):)

camcroft

This setup doesn't sound bad at all just by making the most of what I have. The only problem that I have is I have to go and wisper to Alexa so thet the one in the kitchen doesn't hear my command as that one isn't the nominated streaming device not really much of a problem just like getting up to turn the record over.

larkone

You could set the kitchen one to respond to a different wake name. Device settings/wake word

camcroft

You could set the kitchen one to respond to a different wake name. Device settings/wake word
Thanks. How do you do that then

camcroft

Done . Thanks larkone :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom