Streaming A/V receiver Vs. Network Player

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by krose, Aug 17, 2013.

1. krose

krose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder recently more and more often, reviewing the prices of NADs, Naims or cheaper Denons etc Network Players what advantage Network Player has got over a A/V Receiver (what has got networking capabilities in its standard)

I stream my flacs (also 24/96) from NAS server to A/V Marantz 6006 receiver and movies the same from NAS server to Marantz 7006 Blu-Ray Player.

Why would somebody want to pay 1,000+ pounds for a dedicated streaming equipment if most of the cases having already a some kind of amplifier or a/v receiver can do the same without it.

I need admit streaming through A/V is a little frustrating due to, I suppose, slow A/Vs processor, (operating it is slow, not a flow of streamed song) and in no ways it justifies spending 400-1000+ pounds on separate equipment.

What is the advantage of having dedicated Network Player?

2. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I don't think you're comparing like with like here. The hifi stereo streamers are meant to be coupled to a stereo amp that doesn't have streaming capabilities, where as a streaming AVR has the (multichannel) amp built in. Your question may as well include comparing an A/V receiver to an integrated stereo amplifier or stereo pre-amp + power amp seperates.

Also it's not true you need to spend great amounts to get a very decent network audio player for your stereo amp, most of the maintream ones, eg by Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, etc are ~£200-£400!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  3. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Just off the top of my head - gapless, multi-zone/room option, more codecs supported, no need to have TV on for UI, playlist cleveness, replay gain support, more controller options, better DAC, better search by tags, better integration with Listen Again, Spotify, deezer etc..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. krose

krose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right...Thanks :) Any more advantages?

True, in AVR:
    - User Interface is really basic and not friendly,
    - Limited use of tags (categorized into Artist, Album, Song only), that is part of point above,
    - NO forward or backward option/bar within the song,
    - NO gapless music,

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

But as you mentioned Cebolla, it is designed/created for stereo Hi-Fi systems to be paired with amplifiers, and that make sense now.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  5. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Probably getting into device specific features - the Squeezebox plugins allow numerous features to be added by the community, for example, as well has being OK with large (>100,000 track) libraries.

That said, dedicated players ought to be smart in handling album artist/compilation albums and also multi-CD sets but that is also related to managing the library with own software vs. relying on UPnP/DLNA servers.