Streaming 8 video sources; how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by inkinoo, Oct 19, 2004.

1. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Hi,

I'd like to stream 8 different video sources via Windows Media. Building a server is easy peasy; the trouble I am having is finding a capture card up to the job.

Only needs to be composite but needs to carry audio for each source too.

Can anyone recommend a video capture card please?

Thanks,

Gerard

2. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Not sure exactly what you are after doing really. Do you want to be able to switch between 8 different real time sources? If you do then media player isn't going to be able to handle that and you will need something like this http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/videotoaster/index.html

Let us know more of what you have camera wise and what you need to do.

Cheers

Mark

3. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I would like to stream 8 seperate sources to a Windows Media server so that I can then view any of the sources. Obviously to do that I need a capture card of some variety; I just don't know which one?

G

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The simplest method that springs to mind would be to connect all 8 devices to an amplifier/tuner and connect the video out, most likely S-Video or Component into an single capture card and view using D-Scaler. Obviously you'd only be able to access one of the devices at a time.

There are multiple input capture cards but they tend to be intended for the security industry where multiplexing would still leave an acceptable PQ, that wouldn't be the case here.

Then use girder and an IR repeater to change the source of the Amp. I can't think how you'd be able to connect 8 separate external video devices to a PC simultaneously.

You say this machine will be a Media server? So do you mean that it won't be the machine you are physically using at the display end? If so that'll add extra complications.

How making display devices you have and are they located remotely to this server?

Mark.