Streaming 1080p wireless from Vuze - can I improve with wired ethernet?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by chipstix24, Feb 25, 2013.

1. chipstix24

chipstix24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have Vuze on my Macbook Air.

I have been streaming a film at 1080p (2hrs, ~10GB filesize) via wireless and my TalkTalk router, then wired ethernet cable from the router to my DNLA enabled Sony BDP-S373 BluRay player.

It almost works! but not quite. I.e. the picture looks great, sound fine, looks like its all fine, but it stutters every minute or so - a momentary pause and cut in sound. If it was once every 30mins I could live with it, but its too frequent.

I switched off all other wifi devices in my household, and any unused apps on the MBA, and powered up the MBA on the ac adaptor. I am also on a good clean wifi channel.

I think perhaps I am at the limit of what I can transmit over my wifi? Does this sound correct?

Plan B is to connect my MacBook air to either the router or directly into the back of the BluRay player via Ethernet.

However, I want to check that

a) this is possible? Would the router potentially act as a bottleneck, can/should it go direct into the BluRay player?
    b) will this improve the performance and make it work seamlessly? I want to be fairly sure as I will need to invest in a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adaptor at ~£25

I only intend to do this for films, so don't mind the inconvenience of a wired connection - unless anyone has any ideas how I can get the last 10-15% speed/reliability improvement in my wifi. I could drop to 720p quality, but where is the fun in that?!

Cheers, Chipstix.

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    "I think perhaps I am at the limit of what I can transmit over my wifi? Does this sound correct?"

Yes !

The router won't be a bottleneck, connect via that is a good plan. I'd be fairly certain it would fix the issues as 1080p over wifi is demanding also most TalkTalk routers are low end devices.

Another solution would be via homeplugs but thats still basically wired. It might help your setup....

3. chipstix24

chipstix24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK great thanks.

Quick follow up question - before I go out and spend £25 on a Thunderbolt to Gigabit adaptor (which sounds pricey for a simple adaptor, Apple being a bit cheeky again perhaps) - do you think I could get sufficient transfer speed using a USB2.0 to Ethernet adaptor, which are available much cheaper (might even be able to blag one from the IT guys at work)?

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    "The theoretical maximum data rate in USB 2.0 is 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s)"

That could be ok, try it if you can, it should be enough...