Streamer with DAC to AVR

bobitto

Novice Member
Hi there,

Wanted to ask a question whether it would be possible to bypass the internal DAC in my receiver and use the external only.

Recently I ordered the Streamer/Dac based on Raspberry PI. I have a relatively non-expensive setup in my living room and wanted to add the streaming capabilities to my older AVR which I'm using to power my stereo setup. That's the streamer I ordered and it has only analog outs: PecanPi® Streamer
I had a chance to test the DAC from this company via my laptop and it made my music sound so good. So I decided to order a streamer from them.

Right now I have Paradigm Monitor 6000 Floor-standers and a sub-woofer. If I connect a streamer to the Analog IN of my Denon X2000 AVR I will have to run it in a Direct mode to bypass the internal DAC. Is it right? I wanted to keep my AVR playing in stereo for 2-3 months until I decide on the integrated amp. Looks like once I enable stereo mode in the AVR it will activate the internal DAC, crossovers and bass management. That's what I've learned so far from the internet.

Secondly, in the Direct Mode I will not have a sub working, which I would like to have. Looks like I made a wrong purchase with that streamer/dac

Please advise if I should return the streamer and purchase a device like Marantz NR1200 which would have a streamer/amp and Sub-out capability. Or should I add pre-amp/amp to the streamer and play it all analogue. I wanted to have a streamer initially since I have a lot of flac music on my PC and shared drives as well as shared via my own Plex server.

My goal is to spend around $1000 on Amp or streamer/amp or streamer/dac/amp and be able to play my own collection via network as well as spotify/tidal in 2.1 mode. Which way I should go? Not planning to add CD or Turntable to it.

Thank you in advance.

gibbsy

Even though you have the PI connected by analogue the audio will still go back into the digital domain of the Denon. To add insult to injury the Denon's weak point is stereo music itself. A simple stereo amp that costs the same as the Denon will literally wipe the floor with it. I would say you best bet would be to get the Marantz NR1200. It's simply a far better stereo option.

bobitto

Novice Member
Even though you have the PI connected by analogue the audio will still go back into the digital domain of the Denon. To add insult to injury the Denon's weak point is stereo music itself. A simple stereo amp that costs the same as the Denon will literally wipe the floor with it. I would say you best bet would be to get the Marantz NR1200. It's simply a far better stereo option.
Thank a lot for you input. I never had a stereo amp before. Much appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom