Streamer upgrade advice please

goodguys

Standard Member
Hi Thanks for reading.

I have a dune d1 streamer which i am using for playback of music and movies from a usb 3.0 hard drive.
The dune has hdmi out which i am connecting to a screen for the picture, and the dune has analogue stereo output which i am connecting to a power amp for the sound.
The sound and picture is good but i am wanting to upgrade to an audiophile set up with 5.1, so am thinking of purchasing a high-end blu ray player which has 5.1 analogue outputs, also hdmi out for the picture.
Can you recommend such a blu ray player. I need one with a volume control as the power amp i am using does not have that, and upmixing / downmixing functions, audio eq etc. The blu ray player must be able to decode dts ha ma and dolby true hd
I would like to purchase an older model as brand new releases tend to be expensive, the price drops rapidly when manufacturers release a new model and they discount older models to get rid of them.
Alternatively, a 5.1 streamer would do the job fine. I have looked around but cannot find one. Can you recommed.

Many thanks.

gibbsy

For what you want with a player you will need to look at the Oppo models. Although they are now confined to the secondary market they can still cost more than a brand new player. No new players now incorporate multi channel analogue as that is now deemed to be the preserve of HDMI.

For best audio you do really need a good receiver to do the decoding with the streamer and blu ray player connected to that. Sony and Panasonic players have some streaming abilities. The new high end Pioneers do not have streaming capabilities but are the best for quality audio reproduction.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
For what you want with a player you will need to look at the Oppo models. Although they are now confined to the secondary market they can still cost more than a brand new player. No new players now incorporate multi channel analogue as that is now deemed to be the preserve of HDMI.

For best audio you do really need a good receiver to do the decoding with the streamer and blu ray player connected to that. Sony and Panasonic players have some streaming abilities. The new high end Pioneers do not have streaming capabilities but are the best for quality audio reproduction.
Apart from the ub820 and ub9000 which have 7.1ch analogue outs.

gibbsy

Apart from the ub820 and ub9000 which have 7.1ch analogue outs.
I stand corrected. All those analogue out and no SACD support. What an absolute waste.

goodguys

Standard Member
The panasonic 9000 is a good shout but the price has not dropped vey much. The 820 is a more recent model but a lot cheaper. Not really intrested in the ability of playback of bluray discs, more interested in using the panasonics to playback movies from usb 3.0 hard drives.

Not much interested in a reciever, have owned a few denon and pioneer but much preferred seperates.

The sound from the analogue outs of dune d1 streamer directly into a good quality power amp leaves recievers behind.

That is what i am trying to do, either a streamer or bluray player, directly into several power amps to produce 5.1

Am looking at and old Oppo BDP-103D. Any opinions on that. Or any 5.1 streamers that will accept usb 3.0 hard drives

Thanks

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom